DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Waypoint mode at night

phildebougi

Reactions
As far as I understand the waypoints mode relies basically on the GPS data. My question is about flying nightly using this mode. Would it be advisable to create a waypoints mission during the day time and play this mission when the ambient light is too low to fly in normal mode?

As far as I understand the waypoints mode relies basically on the GPS data. My question is about flying nightly using this mode. Would it be advisable to create a waypoints mission during the day time and play this mission when the ambient light is too low to fly in normal mode?

I have a waypoint mission that I fly (on Litchi) almost every night just at sunset (same mission).

You can fly at night without issue (unless you're worried about obstacles). If you don't feel comfortable flying at night, then a waypoint mission can resolve your control worries but I wouldn't count on the GPS accuracy to avoid obstacles unless you're well clear of them. However, what do you wish to film? You'll need to account for that if you're going to fly a night mission. But yes... test it during the day (so you can abort if you have issues) before running it at night.

Hi lisadoc, About obstacles, are you thinking of mobile obstacles? as of static obstacles, I think that, since they are taken into account with an appropriate margin when defining the mission, the drone should avoid them when I execute the mission at night.

Hi lisadoc, About obstacles, are you thinking of mobile obstacles? as of static obstacles, I think that, since they are taken into account with an appropriate margin when defining the mission, the drone should avoid them when I execute the mission at night.

No. I was speaking to static objects (like trees, power lines, buildings, etc). The key phrase you just used was "with an appropriate margin", which is basically the same as I used - "unless you're well clear of them". I was only saying that if you're going to avoid obstacles at night, make sure you give them a wide enough berth, as the GPS accuracy is not perfect and you won't have obstacle sensors or your vision to make the necessary corrections if required.

I fly a lot of waypoint missions at night and I have learned to triple check my waypoint settings, my RTH settings and usually fly 30 ft higher than normal i.e. If your trees are 100 ft, my RTH and my cruising altitude would be 130 feet. Also I fly slower than I normally would in the daytime since obstacle avoidance doesn't really work . I also agree doing a test run in daytime is very wise. Also give yourself some room 360 degrees around your waypoints to account for aircraft drift.
Good luck and safe flying.

Reactions: Crocket1158
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk