DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through old Iron Bridge

Radartk

Reactions
Morning Folks,
I have a Mavic air and was wondering if there would be problems or concerns about flying around and through an Old Iron Bridge??
Thanks, so much,
TK in Tn

Attachments

• DJI_0200 #2 Small.jpg
    DJI_0200 #2 Small.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 380
  • DJI_0207 #2 Small.jpg
    DJI_0207 #2 Small.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
Reactions: Nastyman211
Always amazes me the different water colors from different places...

Reactions: Radartk
I'm sure the drone doesn't just lose connection when you fly under bridges it just drops into no GPS mode and if it is dark then into attitude mode .
I still would not chance it.

Copied from a previous post. Use SEARCH at top right

Look up “Faraday Cage”. It’s possible that flying through or under the bridge could cause loss of signal and disconnect from the controller.

I’ve seen many Mavic Air crashes where this has happened, but particularly while flying under Bridgestone through rock arches in the ocean. The problem is that RTH May cause the drone to ascend into the top of the bridge causing a crash.

I’m not saying this will happen, only that you risk the possibility.

Look up “Faraday Cage”. It’s possible that flying through or under the bridge could cause loss of signal and disconnect from the controller.

I’ve seen many Mavic Air crashes where this has happened, but particularly while flying under Bridgestone through rock arches in the ocean. The problem is that RTH May cause the drone to ascend into the top of the bridge causing a crash.

I’m not saying this will happen, only that you risk the possibility.

Its possible. As an operator you should know what can happen and how you'll correct it if it does happen. To me if I lose signal there I would set it to hover not return to home so its not going to ascend into the top of it and crash. Its all about knowing your risks and having a plan for how to correct them when it happens. This has happened to me, was flying through an overpass of natural rock in Maui, I suspected once I got under coverage I may lose signal so I set the drone to simply hover and it did. I ended up climbing down a little and got close enough to get signal to the controller again and then flew it out of there. Lesson learned, could have been catastrophic if I didn't know what I was doing. Hence practice practice practice for not what if but when it happens.

Its possible. As an operator you should know what can happen and how you'll correct it if it does happen. To me if I lose signal there I would set it to hover not return to home so its not going to ascend into the top of it and crash. Its all about knowing your risks and having a plan for how to correct them when it happens. This has happened to me, was flying through an overpass of natural rock in Maui, I suspected once I got under coverage I may lose signal so I set the drone to simply hover and it did. I ended up climbing down a little and got close enough to get signal to the controller again and then flew it out of there. Lesson learned, could have been catastrophic if I didn't know what I was doing. Hence practice practice practice for not what if but when it happens.

Wow... great example, and I appreciate your idea regarding recovery. I’m new to the Air, and I forgot it had this feature.

Reactions: Radartk
If you do it, make sure you do not have your RTH set to anything other than "Hover" , otherwise if it does lose signal the drone might fly straight up into the bridge and that is how a lot of crashes happen.

It's not that risky in my opinion, especially if you are standing at one end of the bridge (make sure the flat parts of the antennae are pointed toward the drone). I have seen plenty of drone video through/under bridges, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner. If set up properly, the worst that will happen is the drone will just stop and hover and you can just walk up to it and retrieve it. That bridge is huge, but you may still want it in tripod mode as well to prevent any sudden moves.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If thats the bridge you want to fly through it should do it with no problems. But...thats only if you prepair yourself lol. For one read what the others have said and add turning off the proximity sensors. I've flown under freeway bridges and powerlines. I know everyone will say don't do it but me being me I push boundaries. If you do decide to do it stand in the middle of the street and get a straight level run at it. Dont try to fly in from the side and level out. My best piece of advise is KNOW YOUR LIMITS not anyone elses. If you feel even the slightest bit sketchy ABORT!!! There is no shame at being safe and responsible.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
if no pilons are obstructing the path, you might want to use waypoints? that would imply litchi

Just curious... can a similar effect be achieved with Tapfly?
I wouldn't try either tapfly or waypoints. If you don't have control it will already be bad. just go slow. and make sure your RTH is set to hover. If you have your heart set on it do a couple of fly bys NEXT to the bridge and see if you can fly straight and level nice and slow. I'm gonna go ahead and say if you question your ability play it safe and don't do it.

Reactions: Shon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf