DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying to Florida on Jet Blue

nestorosg

Reactions
I am Flying to Florida on Jet Blue, how many batteries can I bring with me, Im bring my Mavic 2 Air? Is there anything special I should do besides placing the batteries in a Fire Proof bag.

Last summer, I traveled by air with my Mavic Air 2. I took three batteries for it, as well as twenty-four AA Ni-MH batteries and eight 18650 Ni-MH batteries. All were in my carry-on.

I had checked the FAA's PackSafe for Passengers Webpage. Per my read of this page, the Ni-MH batteries could have gone in my checked luggage, but the drone's lithium batteries needed to be in my carry on.

Each battery for my Mavic Air 2 has a capacity of just under 40.5 Watt-hours, according to the labels. Per the FAA Website, this capacity puts these batteries into the 100Wh-or-less-category. For this category, you can carry any number of batteries, as long as they are for your own use: "Quantity limits: None for most batteries — but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery)." Your MA2 batteries are not in this larger category, so not subject to the limit of two.

While checking in for my flight, I confirmed with my airline's counter agents that my arrangement was acceptable. The airline was not JetBlue, but I'd bet that nearly all commerical aviation in the U.S follows FAA guidlines in regard to passengers' batteries. I think a phone call to JetBlue is likely to get you a pointer to the FAA Website, a rote recitation of this Website's information, or something similar.

The response above mine seems snarky and content-free. Poor show, especially from a moderator?

Last edited:
Just put everything in your carry on. No fire proof bag needed. I know everyone says so but it’s not needed. I fly very frequently and have never been asked once about if my drone batteries are in fireproof bags.

Also… Tons of other consumer electronics use lipo batteries those aren’t put in fireproof bags.

This is discussed on this forum tons. Just carry your gear on and you will be fine.

Did you go to their website to look for the info?
I found it on each company that I was using.

Reactions: dirkclod
Great question and as RoarRoar says above it is a very well covered issue. I shall be bringing my MA2 to the US in April and will be flying from JFK to RSA for our hols. The Jet Blue website has pretty clear instructions for battery carrying and despite advice above I will Lipo the batteries. I took my Spark to Florida in 19 and no probs with the authorities both in the US or here in the U.K.

Reactions: racervt911
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser