DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying tomorrow morning and need some advice.

cskeating

Reactions
In my school district, there have been some close calls with kids and vehicles recently. A friend of mine who works in school transportation wanted me to basically hover away from the road and video for 15 minutes the cars and kids crossing the street. Is that acceptable if I don't have a part 107 and I'm not being compensated in any way?

Thanks for the help.
-Chris

In my school district, there have been some close calls with kids and vehicles recently. A friend of mine who works in school transportation wanted me to basically hover away from the road and video for 15 minutes the cars and kids crossing the street. Is that acceptable if I don't have a part 107 and I'm not being compensated in any way?

Thanks for the help.
-Chris
First off WELCOME to the forum :)

That is fully within Part 107. You can not "Recreate" for someone else and compensation is but one reason that the "Recreational Exemption" is void.

Go get your Part 107 and its a MOOT point.

Keep in mind that not only yourself but the Organization requesting your services could also be liable for violating FAA Regulations.

Nope. 107 is needed. Not only 107, but I would think you’d need to get permission from every student you’d potentially be videoing (Or their parents), just like regular (ground video). You could be the one in hot water if a parent decided to take action. You really need a part 107 and permission (in writing) from the school.

if it’s not recreational, it’s professional.

Nope. 107 is needed. Not only 107, but I would think you’d need to get permission from every student you’d potentially be videoing (Or their parents), just like regular (ground video). You could be the one in hot water if a parent decided to take action. You really need a part 107 and permission (in writing) from the school.

If they are in a PUBLIC place you do not need permission. I would get the job request, scope of work, and the School System's approval first just to be sure but shooting in the public does not require permission.

One last question. Would it be a bad idea if I let him borrow my drone to do it after he learns to fly or would I still be liable for what he does with my drone? Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
One last question. Would it be a bad idea if I let him borrow my drone to do it after he learns to fly?

Yes of course a very bad idea. You're just allowing him (and the school district) to break FAA rules. Like loaning a gun for someone else to a store knowing exactly why they are doing it.

If you haven't already, you need to take the TRUST exam

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I agree with others that this is not a permitted application without Part 107 certification, but this is a great application for the technology.

One last question. Would it be a bad idea if I let him borrow my drone to do it after he learns to fly or would I still be liable for what he does with my drone? Thanks again, everyone!
Definitely a bad idea. The drone is registered (or at least should be) to you on the FAA website. If anything goes sideways and/or he is not licensed correctly - you both will go down. This liability is not worth the risk.

Not to mention -- if he crashes - you are minus a drone.

all of this is 100% correct!.

I have experience with big video production, with my drone....I did one for a dance group at a Hindu church, a while back. and I had to have permission in writing from anyone that was involved, the church leaders, dance instructor's, and all 60 dancers. permission from the property manager also. lots of paper work.

We have local bilaws (montréal, canada) that forbid photographing children in parks and public spaces without permission from their parents or supervisors. Now I work for a newspaper and do photographs kids often but request permission before publishing & show my press pass to supervisors/security
/teachers etc. But strictly speaking it is illegal In Montréal And some other cities in Canada

Thanks for the help.
-Chris
In our litigenous environment, you are only asking for a lawsuit. The lawyers will find ways to charge you. Possibly, invasion of privacy, recording children's faces for possible future criminal activities, reckless endangerment, and other various trumped up charges. I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV either. Just a retired doctor, and believe me, this society of ours is extremely litigenous.

Dale
Miami

Welcome to the forum.
Having a background in Law Enforcement and the Electrical Utility Industry:
I would, suggest to the school that they contact local law enforcement as they often have cameras that they have the Utility Company hang on poles to monitor intersections for traffic issues, suspected drug houses etc. This way you can still help without incurring liability etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre