DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying upwards through an open roof window - Risky ?

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey All,

A buddy of mine wanted a few shots of his new house as a favor (no money involved, no problem). His house is quite high up on a hill, so can be windy, has 3 floors and at the very top he has a sliding roof window. From the roof you can see the sea and woods - incredible view.

I'd an idea for a cool shot / video where the drone is inside the house and launches directly upwards THROUGH the open roof window to reveal the surrounding country side. The shot would be just raise up/down - nothing else. So a simple manouvre in that sense.

To get a sense/visual of how the drone might look in this scenario - I've marked in chalk the opening and put my drone in it. See attached image. Spacing looks promising

Some of my concerns:
- Make sure house WiFi is off and the bird is in Tripod mode
- GPS signal: I remember with my old MA when GPS was unstable (when flying in woods under tree canopy) the bird would jerk left/right sometimes, don't want this happening while flying through the opening. So I'd like to ensure I've a good GPS signal (if possible). the room I'm flying upwards through also has large sliding patio doors so it very airy.

Tell me if I'm being stupid - but I'd love to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks Ro

Attachments

• opening.jpg
    opening.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
any indoor flying has risks the crunch point would be just after it cleared the window and reacted to any wind ,are you going to face the camera down to the floor and then when you have cleared the window frame slow pan up to do a reveal and combine that with a 360 pan once you are outside can you go onto the balcony to have the drone in sight

Shouldn't be a problem at all. You'll likely get a GPS lock before launching through the window opening in the roof. In any event VPS off the floor with a pattern should be good enough to hold position as you ascend through the opening up to 33 feet above the floor, and once outside, you'll have full GPS. If concerned about the landing back inside (no concern really necessary) just land outside. Good luck. Share the video after!

Reactions: old man mavic
any indoor flying has risks the crunch point would be just after it cleared the window and reacted to any wind ,are you going to face the camera down to the floor and then when you have cleared the window frame slow pan up to do a reveal and combine that with a 360 pan once you are outside can you go onto the balcony to have the drone in sight
Hey,

Yup I see what you mean. So I'm going to (all going well) perform a variety of shots (but if I only get one that's alright too), but they'll all be ascending upwards through the opening with only the gimbal being different on each run. So they could be something like:
  • shot 1 - fly upwards gimbal pointing straight down
  • shot 2 - fly upwards gimbal pointing level
  • shot 3 - fly upwards gimbal pointing 45 deg down
If I get in trouble after flying through the opening then I can them attempt to land on the front lawn (lots of space).

Ro

Shouldn't be a problem at all. You'll likely get a GPS lock before launching through the window opening in the roof. In any event VPS off the floor with a pattern should be good enough to hold position as you ascend through the opening up to 33 feet above the floor, and once outside, you'll have full GPS. If concerned about the landing back inside (no concern really necessary) just land outside. Good luck. Share the video after!
Will do thanks! If I can get GPS lock I'll be a more happy camper
Ro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_