DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying weather.

Malfius

Reactions
Being in the UK, the weather is a bit rubbish at the moment, it's either too cold or too wet.

Am I being too careful/protective of my new Mavic ?
Will it stand up to a bit of light drizzle ?
I've seen that the cold can effect the gimbal and camera so if it's below 1 or 2'C I'm not flying anyway.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'd not fly in drizzle, but would in cold. Your camera will get a foggy lens in drizzle, so no point in flying in any case (would you leave your phone out in the drizzle unless it was waterproof, and the Mavic is even lower IP rated than a phone?) there are people flying at -10 degrees, so I'd be happy with that.

Reactions: Malfius
Thanks Alex, I figured any sort of rain/drizzle would be rather pointless, like you said, anything on the lens and what's the point.
It's good to know it can handle the cold though :)
I might finally get it in the air soon.

Good luck, you'll love it. Keep the drone and batteries somewhere warm before flying, the battery generates heat, but it's better to start it at room temperature. If it's your first flight, be sure to be familiar with the proper pre-flight checks. When it's dry in winter there is an extended 'golden hour' due to the low sun for photography, but be aware there is a known issue flying towards the low sun, it thinks it's an obstacle:eek:, I just fly backwards, I'm sure DJI will come up with a firmware fix for it. I'm starting to ramble here.....

I got the UAV forecast app, but as Alex says, it doesn't like you to fly if it's below 5'C

I've flown mine in 26F or -3C. I think the temp has more to do with the temp of the battery as opposed to the air temp. When flying in cold temps I keep my gear "warm" in insulated bags till I'm ready to fly...

I got the UAV forecast app, but as Alex says, it doesn't like you to fly if it's below 5'C

Although the Mavic seems quite well protected against the rain I take mine down the moment I feel any spots of rain as I don't want to risk water damage to it.

I received my Mavic in winter and flew it a good few times in the cold which went without issue apart from me being very cold standing still flying it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne