DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with feathered friends - suggestions?

Woodcraftron

Reactions
New pilot in training at 75 years young, bought MA with primary intent to fly from trawler while at anchor in Pacific Northwest. When practicing I note MA attracts numerous birds and I'm curious about flying where there are increased concentrations of eagles, osprey and other falcons. Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: old man mavic
I would say that in general you should stay away from birds, usually they aren't "interested" ... they are protective. I'm sure they have more then a few drones on their conscience. If they surprise you & go in for a kill my only advice is to throttle up quick & steer away as they usually are slower to ascend then the opposite.

New pilot in training at 75 years young, bought MA with primary intent to fly from trawler while at anchor in Pacific Northwest. When practicing I note MA attracts numerous birds and I'm curious about flying where there are increased concentrations of eagles, osprey and other falcons. Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.
the basic answer is don't, be aware of when birds are breeding, they get very protective of their nests and young ,and remember they have no innate fear of another flying object, and will even attack if feeling threatened, the best course of action if you are in danger from a bird or birds is to fly straight up and then get the heck out of there birds can't follow you straight up but they can dive down at you very quickly

Last edited:
I think it depends on the birds. I've had flocks of chickadees and blackbirds swarming around my Spark for hours on end many times and they never attacked it, just trying to scare it away I think.

I heard seagulls are the worst. Eagles, osprey, hawks, etc I think would be dangerous too. ☠

Reactions: old man mavic
I've been flying around the ocean, but have yet to be chased by seagulls. I've heard numerous stories about gulls attacking drones. I wonder if it's like the time I paddled my surfboard too close to a rock inhabited by seals and they chased me out of the water. I'm guessing it was mating season.

Gulls are definitely “Drone haters” ! Recent holiday in New Zealand recently...empty beach then, out of the blue.
Video if you’re interested.

Nice shots...Napier is a nice city, i live in Auckland north of napier. Problem for us drone people in NZ is most of of us live near the coast...considering NZ is surrounded by water and many parts its not far from east to west coasts. So even inland the Gulls travel. Many times have i thought the coast was clear and the **** gulls show up in numbers out of nowhere..Even 20 kms inland. I ve never been struck yet but dont want to take the chance but the big black Gulls seem to be the most agressive. It seems its just pot luck when you get your drone up and it attracts no Gulls....I have found late afternoon evenings they are less interested as they have done most of the scavenging by then. If you liked napier the South Island is a drone guys heaven....Many beautiful mountain lakes from the southern Alps (Lord of rings filmed there) and not so many Gulls. Also the far north of NZ is a paradise as well...More tropical than the Alpine south and again is so beautiful and great for drones...but pick your moments as many islands and Gulls

OK whats going On I can't watch any of the youtube videos keep getting error has occurred try later. Vemo plays no problem any ideas. also I watch tons of youtube on youtube no problems.

OK whats going On I can't watch any of the youtube videos keep getting error has occurred try later. Vemo plays no problem any ideas. also I watch tons of youtube on youtube no problems.
Right finger click on the dead video & copy the link, then go to another tab & play it from there...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR