DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying with iPhone-edit iPad or edit with gaming laptop?

Reactions
I chose the General forum because of the variety of questions I have.

I currently fly a M2P with iPhone 12 Max. I have a new Gaming laptop. I have an OLD iPad mini that doesn't show any of my pictures that I have on my iPhone. I was thinking of upgrading to the new mini 6 for editing if the majority of you feel that's a better way to edit versus the laptop.

I am researching photo & video software and I know what you use for Apple you can't use on Windows.

1) What do you recommend do editing on? An iPad or Gaming Laptop?

2) Since I just purchased the Gaming Laptop, do you think I should save the money on buying a new iPad mini and stick with using the SD Card?

3) If iPad is better to edit on, will I need to fly with the iPad or can I sync or transfer the iPhone pics/video to the iPad?

4) If flying with Apple iPhone or iPad, do I have to get MAC software to edit like Final Cut Pro?

5) I was only able to use the DJI GO 4 app to edit when I used the on-board memory. Now that I use a micro sd card, I can't edit anything on the iPhone. The other day I somehow have the photos in the iPhone Album and in the DJI GO 4 app under Album/Photos, (which weren't there before) HOWEVER, when I select the photo, it says I need to download original photo, but I need to connect to the aircraft. I don't understand why it needs to be connected to edit. What step or steps am I missing here?

6) I've seen a lot of people on here using Davinci Resolve the free and paying subscriptions and that it takes a while to learn. The Adobe seems expensive since I am just learning. Has anyone used or have thoughts about CyberLink Power Direct?

Thank you all so much! I have enjoyed checking out so many of the forums and the amount of great information and advice.

Happy New Year to all! Fly safe, have fun!

Hi Jiminy...
Funny you should ask. In the last week or so I just got an iPad Mini6 and quite recently got what one might consider a "gaming" laptop. Without question get the laptop. The iPad Mini is cute and good for general stuff, but is NOT well suited for video editing IMO. FWIW my other half has a giant iPad and pencil and I still wouldn't edit video on it. It's nice to view, but I find screen working working off a screen tiresome and tedious. It's only fair to say that I don't do much with iPads as I find keyboards and mice and larger monitors much better for serious work. But hey, I'm no millennial and I like what I like. I do think I like the iPad Mini 6 for flying, though I wish it were brighter for outdoors.

I got a HP ENVY 15-ep (can't remember the model) but it has an i7 6 core (I think) 2.6ghz processor, 32gb ram, NVIDIA 2060 video card, 1TB drive, AMOLED 4k display screen. I hook this sucker up to a 27" monitor, a keyboard and mouse and it is faster than my 2 year old Alienware desktop with similar specs. That 4k screen is quite something. Also the screen it touch sensitive, something I didn't even know til I got it home.

For editing I use Davinci Resolve 17 and never worry that I lack video or processing power. I got lucking and got the double bonus of a refurbished unit which happened to be open box at the local store in Chicago. $1100. The same unit can be had for $1400 (refub, but not open box). Here is a link to that computer. It's quite a store.
HE Envy link- Micro Center Chicago

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
Do this...

Get the free Davinci resolve, they are now up to version 18 and then buy yourself their DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor. Although it is about $395, I found a new one on ebay for $250 and you may find one lower than that.

Use your Gaming computer with this and it will be sooo much easier than using an ipad and easier than using just the laptop. Take a look at some of the YouTube videos of how to edit with the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor and you will be amazed.

I am very good with Photoshop but not a clue as a video editor and when I found out about the Speed Editor, I was amazed at how much simpler the editing process could be. I was afraid of the learning curve with editing and had put off doing it for the longest time. Now I have the speed editor I am looking forward to the job of editing.

Take a few minutes now and jump on YouTube and spend 15 mins watching how easy editing is with this little deck. I have heard that sometimes DaVinci Resolve offers the Speed Editor for free, when you buy the $295 paid version. I was not lucky enough to find that deal, so I got the free version of the software and bought the editing deck and I'm still very pleased.

But search on ebay, I saw some past sales where people paid about $185 for this close to $400 editing deck. Good luck but use your gaming laptop and if you want to spend more money, then buy the editor deck, instead of an iPad and you'll have money left over!

Hi Jiminy...
Funny you should ask. In the last week or so I just got an iPad Mini6 and quite recently got what one might consider a "gaming" laptop. Without question get the laptop. The iPad Mini is cute and good for general stuff, but is NOT well suited for video editing IMO. FWIW my other half has a giant iPad and pencil and I still wouldn't edit video on it. It's nice to view, but I find screen working working off a screen tiresome and tedious. It's only fair to say that I don't do much with iPads as I find keyboards and mice and larger monitors much better for serious work. But hey, I'm no millennial and I like what I like. I do think I like the iPad Mini 6 for flying, though I wish it were brighter for outdoors.

I got a HP ENVY 15-ep (can't remember the model) but it has an i7 6 core (I think) 2.6ghz processor, 32gb ram, NVIDIA 2060 video card, 1TB drive, AMOLED 4k display screen. I hook this sucker up to a 27" monitor, a keyboard and mouse and it is faster than my 2 year old Alienware desktop with similar specs. That 4k screen is quite something. Also the screen it touch sensitive, something I didn't even know til I got it home.

For editing I use Davinci Resolve 17 and never worry that I lack video or processing power. I got lucking and got the double bonus of a refurbished unit which happened to be open box at the local store in Chicago. $1100. The same unit can be had for $1400 (refub, but not open box). Here is a link to that computer. It's quite a store.
HE Envy link- Micro Center Chicago
We have a Micro Center about 40 mins away and it is an amazing store. I highly recommend visiting one whenever anyone gets a chance. They offer online sales too.

Ohhh, I just noticed these were very old posts that I just replied to, so you guys have long ago done whatever it was you were going to do. I must remember to look at dates. But hey, maybe this will help anyone thinking about what to do in 2022!

Do this...

Get the free Davinci resolve, they are now up to version 18 and then buy yourself their DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor. Although it is about $395, I found a new one on ebay for $250 and you may find one lower than that.

Use your Gaming computer with this and it will be sooo much easier than using an ipad and easier than using just the laptop. Take a look at some of the YouTube videos of how to edit with the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor and you will be amazed.

I am very good with Photoshop but not a clue as a video editor and when I found out about the Speed Editor, I was amazed at how much simpler the editing process could be. I was afraid of the learning curve with editing and had put off doing it for the longest time. Now I have the speed editor I am looking forward to the job of editing.

Take a few minutes now and jump on YouTube and spend 15 mins watching how easy editing is with this little deck. I have heard that sometimes DaVinci Resolve offers the Speed Editor for free, when you buy the $295 paid version. I was not lucky enough to find that deal, so I got the free version of the software and bought the editing deck and I'm still very pleased.

But search on ebay, I saw some past sales where people paid about $185 for this close to $400 editing deck. Good luck but use your gaming laptop and if you want to spend more money, then buy the editor deck, instead of an iPad and you'll have money left over!
You hit a couple of good points...
I didn't realize the price of the editor/studio version was now $395. I paid $300 last year. Still, it is a bargain, because, as you pointed out, the speed editor is a rock solid thing of beauty and so, so functional.

Like you, I've spent 20 years on Photoshop (and still like version CS3 over the newer versions) and had zero clue about video editing. As I said in earlier posts some time ago, I got my Mini 1 just before July 2020 and completed my first 3 minute video by July 15, including a few complete re-edits.

Short of having the speed editor, there are keyboard commands that do much of what the speed editor does, but the scroll wheel just makes it more precise and fast. FWIW I bought a Logic Keyboard from B&H that is color coded for the Davinci Resolve commands. It wasn't cheap, but I like the backlighting, color and it reminds me of what the key commands do. $140, but this one is a solid keyboard, unlike the Logic Keyboard's earlier version. It has good tactile feel for typing. The only drawback it that it is wired USB rather than wireless, but it is helpful, especially if you don't want to use the speed editor.

1651073213654.png

We have a Micro Center about 40 mins away and it is an amazing store. I highly recommend visiting one whenever anyone gets a chance. They offer online sales too.
Yeah... I got my last two computers from Micro Center in Chicago and got two amazing deals. One was an Alien Gear Aurora R7 destktop, I don't remember what I installed besides two more internal SSD drives, but it's to 48gb of physical ram and an INVIDIA GTX 1070 GPU... $850 open box. Just a few months ago I bought and HD laptop, again open box with 32GB ram, 4k Oled display, RTX 2060 GPU and a fast i7 processor. $1100. This laptop competes strongly vs laptops with the same or lower specs that sell for $2000+. Unless I'm traveling, my laptop is hooked up to a 27" monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Two fabulous computers for under $2000? Both can handle video editing with no problem. How do you beat that? Both

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty