DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying without WiFi

Bernie11

Reactions
Just purchased my first drone, a Mavic Pro. I have about 10 hours flying time in my neighborhood. Will be traveling to Northern Canada in a few weeks, and the thought just occurred to me that there is no WiFi where we will be. Will I still be able to fly my MP, and what will I loose in the way of functionality with my controls, if any?

Just purchased my first drone, a Mavic Pro. I have about 10 hours flying time in my neighborhood. Will be traveling to Northern Canada in a few weeks, and the thought just occurred to me that there is no WiFi where we will be. Will I still be able to fly my MP, and what will I loose in the way of functionality with my controls, if any?
No, you will be fine. You do not need WIFI access to fly.
Howdy from Wyoming @Bernie11 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

If your drone is functioning as it should right now, avoid doing any updating for now. You have plenty of time to do that after your trip if you decided to.

Thanks guys for the fast reply, much appreciated. Now I have to find a good water recovery / float system as I will be flying over some lakes up there. Will make me a little upset if it goes for a swim 30 ft. of water and I can't recover it. I did sign up for the Dji Replenish program, but I know you have to have the drone in hand to fight it out with them.

Thanks guys for the fast reply, much appreciated. Now I have to find a good water recovery / float system as I will be flying over some lakes up there. Will make me a little upset if it goes for a swim 30 ft. of water and I can't recover it. I did sign up for the Dji Replenish program, but I know you have to have the drone in hand to fight it out with them.
Some of us here have a stand alone state farm policy that covers loss, theft, and smashing it to bits. Cost.. . $60 for the year.

Refresh program isn't even close to worth it for me.

you mean as part of a house contents policy, or stand alone with drone only?
It's called personal articles policy and not every state farm agent will write the policy. I have all 3 drones covered for 60$ a year so if I crash one of them, they pay the retail price I paid for it. They send out a check.

The only thing you don't get is the map display - if you need the map display you can cache it onto your device beforehand.
Hi, I found out the hard way to keep my Note8 on airplane mode when I fly. No cashes but I had to change my pants. Do you have any instructions on Caching maps to my android phone?

Do you have more information on this policy? Does it have a name?
Ugh. Sorry for the late reply...
I just tried to call my "underwriter" and they said that the drone policy I purchased is called a "personal property policy." Ask your State Farm agent and ask another one in your town if you get a negative response. Unless state laws would prohibit it, (which I Don't know), State Farm Insurance most definitely offers this policy

I use a non-cellular iPad mini and tether it to my iPhone using the personal hot spot. Not sure of your cell data plan, but that's a way to get your maps.

There is a good drone shop in Santo Domingo, for repairs. But how would they know if I am in the DR, we have an office in Ft. Lauderdale, everything could be handled from there. Unless of course they look at GPS logs on the drone, after a crash or something.

Honestly, they wouldn't know you are in DR. Give them a FL address and you should be solid. I am in la habana right now visiting my mother and my state farm does not cover it here. I have a permit to fly here so if I crash, I too would just say it happened near my home in the States.

Reactions: conchman

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu