DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying your drone in the rain; waterproof vs water resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for doing this. The results will be interesting. Might I suggest you afford the designer of the product an opportunity to comment on your results before you post the findings? Aside form being a fair and reasonable approach it will remove, at leastto a large extent, any dispute as to whether the product was correctly installed in the performance of the test.

What is really obvious to me is that the manufacturer should have performed similar testing themselves and to the extent it might have been done the results published. I’m not impressed by a video of a Mavic or phantom flying in the rain and continuing to operate. My immediate suspicion is it would perform identically with no third party raincoat installed.

When you perform the disassembly please check if the moisture indicators have changed colour. Based on 3M’s comments moisture sufficient to fog a pair of spectacles will cause them to trigger. To the extent this is true the third party supplier should inform potential buyers that the false sense of security offered by the product might ultimately lead to a DJI warranty claim being denied. Return your AC for any repair where the moisture indicators suggest water ingress and you will have argument on your hands.

Thank you to everyone for supporting me. I didnt want to be mean to the guy and defend myself, or lash back at him because I seriously think this poor guy has some serious rage and emotional problems. I feel sorry for him and pity him. Even though he continues to attack me, I have found peace with it. My parents taught me to be kind to the mentally ill of which he is certainly one.

Back to my original point of this thread. Is it possible to fly a drone in the rain? Yes it is. Would I willingly do it with a machine that is not meant to get wet. No.

Last year, as a lark, I posted a picture of my solution to waterproofing my drone and it worked amazingly well. The best part is that with a ziploc bag, and one foot of carefully placed duct tape, it only cost me around $.20 cents (USD). I carefully made sure that none of the vents were exposed to rain and were able to breath without water getting inside. Heat was not a problem, and it was disposable.

I am now offering these for sale for $1.00 for the complete kit*. Order now and we will include a second kit for free! I havent secured the website name yet, but I am calling it the "drone-condom." www.drone-condom.com. Prophylaxis for your drone. Guaranteed to be waterproof or you get a full refund! Order now and get a free rubber band in one of 4 different colors.

*shipping charge of $78.00 is extra. Only one product per customer or I will have to go to the market and buy a new box of ziplocs.

View attachment 59038

Omg, this is truly a genius at work, are you doing pre-orders? Do you plan on doing different colour bags drone condoms?

Does it feel squeezey in your hands like the original?
Hang on - what're we talking about again?

Thank you for doing this. The results will be interesting. Might I suggest you afford the designer of the product an opportunity to comment on your results before you post the findings? Aside form being a fair and reasonable approach it will remove, at leastto a large extent, any dispute as to whether the product was correctly installed in the performance of the test.

What is really obvious to me is that the manufacturer should have performed similar testing themselves and to the extent it might have been done the results published. I’m not impressed by a video of a Mavic or phantom flying in the rain and continuing to operate. My immediate suspicion is it would perform identically with no third party raincoat installed.

When you perform the disassembly please check if the moisture indicators have changed colour. Based on 3M’s comments moisture sufficient to fog a pair of spectacles will cause them to trigger. To the extent this is true the third party supplier should inform potential buyers that the false sense of security offered by the product might ultimately lead to a DJI warranty claim being denied. Return your AC for any repair where the moisture indicators suggest water ingress and you will have argument on your hands.

I actually did offer the designer an opportunity to comment on my results prior to releasing a review of his product, but that set him off on a tantrum. I was willing to address any design flaws and help improve the product, but was met with vitriol. Oh well, water under the bridge....

As I had previously mentioned, vendors send me demo products all the time and I am happy to test them, review them, and give my honest opinion. I know drones in and out, and feel like Im qualified to potentially destroy my own drone so that others may live...

Last edited:
I actually did offer the designer an opportunity to comment on my results prior to releasing a review of his product, but that set him off on a tantrum. I was willing to address any design flaws and help improve the product, but was met with vitriol. Oh well, water under the bridge....

As I had previously mentioned, vendors send me demo products all the time and I am happy to test them, review them, and give my honest opinion. I know drones in and out, and feel like Im qualified to potentially destroy my own drone so that others may live...
Is your offer of testing limited to DJI drone products?

I have a motorcycle ash tray I have developed- it looks fantastic (comes in four different colour schemes).

You couldn't have been more patient and professional, well done you for keeping it real.

A great man once said:

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

Is your offer of testing limited to DJI drone products?

I have a motorcycle ash tray I have developed- it looks fantastic (comes in four different colour schemes).

Not only will I test your motorcycle ash tray, but I will use my brand new Road King, I will wear a highly flammable shirt, and no goggles. (gotta make sure I am paid up on my life insurance)

A little off the topic, but I feel it should be said... I've been on this site for almost 2 years now, and I check it multiple times daily. I've seen @Thunderdrones helping hundreds of people with their drones and their questions knowing **** well that he probably would not be compensated for it. For that I wanted to say thank you @Thunderdrones for being a valued member to this forum and to say.. We the members have your back since you always have ours..

Good luck with that. What you should’ve done is just apologize and be done with it but no ... do us all a favor and try another forum....PLEASE.

Try another forum? This guy has already been around the block, he got kicked out of all the MMA (mixed martial arts) forums with his last "product"

Oops, I've said too much again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard