DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus Peaking and/or Focus Peak Threshold

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've seen some references to "focus peaking" and would like to try using it on my M3P, but haven't a clue how. Can anyone direct me how or send me to instructions for it?

Also, at the subject suggests...
Are "focus peaking" and "focus peak threshold" related?

Thx,
Jon

I've seen some references to "focus peaking" and would like to try using it on my M3P, but haven't a clue how. Can anyone direct me how or send me to instructions for it?

Also, at the subject suggests...
Are "focus peaking" and "focus peak threshold" related?

Thx,
Jon
Focus peaking on M3 is not very reliable. Reason being is the lag of the monitor view. Due to that establishing perfect focus is a bit of a hit and miss excercise.
I am not sure which situation would require you using this method of focusing. From my experience the AF gives pretty reliable focus on all 3 cameras when shooting closer distance subjects. I only use MF when shooting infinity subjects in which case I set the focus manually to infinity. On my M3P though that requires to set the focus bar on the focusing scale to a specific position for each camera, and it is not the last bar as one would assume or logically expect. Do some testing to work this out for your own M3P.

Last edited:
How do I turn it on and use it?

My main reason for asking is I'd like to play with depth of field/focus and think that feature might be useful.

I always fly with my focus peaking on. I never use autofocus unless the peaking it off. Once I have the scene in focus, I leave it on manual focus.

You can find focus peaking under the camera settings. I have mine set to "standard" I believe.

Reactions: CadrePilot
I always fly with my focus peaking on. I never use autofocus unless the peaking it off. Once I have the scene in focus, I leave it on manual focus.

You can find focus peaking under the camera settings. I have mine set to "standard" I believe.
Thanks!

BTW, been watching you on Pilot Institute. Excellent stuff.

Reactions: Vic Moss
How do I turn it on and use it?

My main reason for asking is I'd like to play with depth of field/focus and think that feature might be useful.
It is under Camera Tab.
Low setting gives more accurate focus reading.
If you want to play with depth of field, I guess with the 3x and 7x cameras where the effect would be more pronounced, again you would be better off to tap in AF on the subject you want to be in perfect focus and then switch to MF to lock the focus there.
From my experience focusing manually by shifting the slider on the focusing scale while using focus peaking does not work reliably and accurately enough to rely on it.

Last edited:
It is under Camera Tab.
Low setting gives more accurate focus reading.
If you want to play with depth of field, I guess with the 3x and 7x cameras where the effect would be more pronounced, again you would be better off to tap in AF on the subject you want to be in perfect focus and then switch to MF to lock the focus there.
From my experience focusing manually by shifting the slider on the focusing scale while using focus peaking does not work reliably and accurately enough to relay on it.
The other use of playing with depth of field could be transitioning from foreground to background when shooting video. Kind of focus pull. But the slider is too small and too flimsy on the screen to provide any meaningful control over focus pull. On top of that the lag in view makes any deliberate or pre-determined focus pull impossible.
I can perhaps see one option here. Starting to record video when MF is set on close proximity subject and then pull the slider to infinity. Perhaps worth exploring if you are a video shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: CadrePilot