DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus problem - the final word ?

TheDigitalDove

Reactions
Hi all
Trying to get my head around the focus problem and whether it is hardware or user inexperience

The majority of my Auto focus footage is out of focus but for a Column about 2/3s to the right of centre . This is both stills and video. It becomes a centre Column of focus when testing with the intelligent flight mode of active track

I have read forums and tried most fixes, MF, recalibrate IMU , gimbal , reset camera settings and more . in AF I often recentre the camera and focus . I do fly around focus shifting seascapes and changing altitude

The PROBLEM I have is that my results are not consistent .

- I sometimes start with great focus footage and then it jumps out of focus for no apparent reason . Sometimes it refocuses, but most of the time not , and recentering may or may not correct it

- I sometimes reset camera mid-flight which has at times resulted in sharp footage after ...but not always

- I have had sharp footage with manual focus at 10m to infinity ...but again not always. I have to check if this is a setting and it’s not focusing after reset and I am Just inexperience. I think the first manual focus was my only complete begin to end focused video . But then next time it was not . I tried Brickwall focus after resets and got video and still focus

- the vast majority and default focus is a out of focus left half, a column of focus in right as my low re pic below shows . I am not sure if this is the same as the bits or soft focus others talk of . This is the usual default focus I have experienced and when it snaps out of focus this is the result i get - always - a narrow colum of focus in all conditions on all footage

My big question is ...
If I have been able focus some stills and some videos , through a combination of factors i can’t always recreate , does it mean that my camera is ok ??

While I would return it i need to use it actively now and expect the Australian return , repair or replace process could take weeks ??

- please could I get input from the experts who know this problem rather than suggestions for good samaritans as there is so much different opinion about this out here . Hoping I can get defined steps to recreate focus or maybe I have said it all above and it can be determined that mine must be replaced ?

Holding out before a return process and hoping that my ability to capture some sharp pics , and video suggests that camera must be ok.... or is this just my lack of knowledge

—-
Out of focus still

9a31db13f1605b8a70d50a9369d5d787.jpg

Clear focus can be achieved but I have difficulty consistently recreating it or knowing which combinations get me there . Best result seems to be camera reset mid flight

I am going to test peak focus threshold settings as final test

Please Heeeelp ?!

Last edited:
My big question is ...
If I have been able focus some stills and some videos , through a combination of factors i can’t always recreate , does it mean that my camera is ok ??

No, I don't think your Camera is ok. I've had two Mavics now, and I have not been able to reproduce your focus issue on either of them.

I think your going to have to bite the bullet and return the mavic.

From your post it appears you are working way too hard on something that is easily achuevable on most Mavic's. I would personally send the drone in for repair.

Hey man you're learning the same way as I did. If you want excellent pics and vids stick with the P3/P4 series. much better camera.

It looks like one of the elements in the lens has shifted out of line. That would be a factory fault.
Was this right from the start? Or did you crash it on your first flights?

Reactions: brilock1 and gjhick
I have crashed once yes but all the footage problems pre-date crash and were an out of the box error .

Thanks everyone , I will seek resolution with DJI . My tests today and peak focus threshold left me without focus and frustrated with the results after 30 minutes of varied settings and video

Back it goes and I do hope it’s not challenged as crash was not the cause . I am sure they won’t take me to task. I have forensic flight logs if needed I guess .

i am time incredibly excited to get crisp focus in future. I can see how a rhythmic ,creative flight path, or dance really , can be the source of dramatic fun video results

On we go )!

Hey man you're learning the same way as I did. If you want excellent pics and vids stick with the P3/P4 series. much better camera.
While the P4 does have a better camera than the Mavic, the OP’s camera is clearly faulty. Telling him he’ll need to buy a different drone model to improve his photos isn’t correct.

Reactions: Johnmcl7 and Callum
While the P4 does have a better camera than the Mavic, the OP’s camera is clearly faulty. Telling him he’ll need to buy a different drone model to improve his photos isn’t correct.
I think he probably knew what I was talking about. And what I said is true.

I think he probably knew what I was talking about. And what I said is true.

Yep I got you . Replaced it in a feet of sheer luck , same day turnaround and entire Mavic Pro set was exchanged . After a month of learning and blurred images it’s literally like taking off a blindfold . Interestingly the month of challenges has proven to be a superb learning ground for flying , settings , and more. Some great footage already pouring in

I suspect I the future the Mavic Pro will prove to be a design classic and a turning point. It’s truly a step forward

Thanks everyone for input
This is an enthusiastic and helpful community

Hi,I just had the same problem after flying one day I put the drone away and took out the SD card to look at some videos-I deleted some vids and renamed other files and put the card back in the Mavic.
Next day I went to fly and the camera was out of focus and all camera settings were greyed out.
At home I noticed someone on this site say ,change or format you SD card-I removed the SD card and the camera focused straight away!
so I re formatted the card and problem solved!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78