DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fog

joturttle

Reactions
So I flew my drone in the fog and there was a little bit of water on the front of the drone and camera. I wiped it down but should I have it checked out?

So I flew my drone in the fog and there was a little bit of water on the front of the drone and camera. I wiped it down but should I have it checked out?

Hello from the Crossroads of America joturttle.

Be aware, flying in fog is not recommended by DJI, even though it's pretty cool to do. 👍

Fog has a lot of moisture content that could affect the sensors if it condensates on the lenses that could hinder the performance of the aircraft.

I've read stories in the past how the bottom VPS sensors get cloudy and may make it tough to land the aircraft because it thinks the ground is below it, even if it's still up in air, taking it's sweet time trying to land.

Or the opposite because it comes crashing down because it couldn't "see" the ground.

Let the aircraft dry out and you should be fine.

Have fun, be safe, and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Notice with the Mini 2 Wet Suit it can fly in the rain, as the motors and camera are very water resistant.

Fog can play some tricks on the drone but mostly from the Sensors getting confused and causing a Forced type landing .

The Wet Suit focues on protecting the sensors, battery and Power button which is the Weakes link of the drone as well as the open ports which can cause the ESC module to be comprimised.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water

I fly in fog all the time and have never had any problems.
Maybe fog on the prairies is a little drier than elsewhere?

But it's a dry fog! 🤣

(Grew up in Saskatchewan. Never got frostbite until I moved to Ontario — this damp cold sucks the heat right out of you…)
From Edmonton here.
For a while I worked with a group of people who came from Montreal and they would say the same thing. LOL
All that I know is that cold is when it hurts so bad that you want to cry. We do get that once in a while in Alberta.

All that I know is that cold is when it hurts so bad that you want to cry. We do get that once in a while in Alberta.
I've been golfing in -30 weather. Doable as long as you're dressed for it. (This was back in the 80s when down-filled parkas that made you look like the michelin man were new.)

What got me down in Edmonton were the short winter days. Going to work in the dark, working in a windowless lab, driving home in the dark. And having to drive everywhere because Edmonton at the time ignored pedestrians and plowed the snow from the roads onto the sidewalks.

Reactions: DanJ
I've been golfing in -30 weather. Doable as long as you're dressed for it. (This was back in the 80s when down-filled parkas that made you look like the michelin man were new.)

What got me down in Edmonton were the short winter days. Going to work in the dark, working in a windowless lab, driving home in the dark. And having to drive everywhere because Edmonton at the time ignored pedestrians and plowed the snow from the roads onto the sidewalks.
There is good and bad about being this far north.
The good. Sunrise around 5:00 am and sunset around 10:15 pm this time of the year.
In the winter, its the opposite. Sunrise at 8:45, sunset 4:15 pm. but the bonus is that the sun stays close to the horizon for a few hours which means a longer time shooting under great light.
As for sidewalks, roads and snow. I've lived here all my life and have adapted to it. I love the change of seasons but winter could be a couple of months shorter.

Water on the exterior of the drone is not a big issue. What is a concern is water on the circuit boards and electrical contacts and conductors inside the drone.

I'd remove the battery and SD card and put the drone in a gentle warm air stream, like the cooling fan outlet of a computer. I've used a USB powered fan to help dry out a couple of cameras that friends have dropped in the water.

Your situation sounds like it should be no problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2