DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow Me Not Working

taco7

Reactions
All the intelligent modes are working, except the only one i anticipate using: follow me.

Brand new Mavic Pro.

Phone: I've tried both galaxy s4 and galaxy s5.
Phone GPS: I've tried location on "GPS Only" and "high accuracy."
Mode: i've tried in sport mode and non-sport mode.
Drone Setting: I've tried with the switch by the MicroSD on wifi and on Rc.
Updates: I've updated all firmware.
App: Go4, all updated.

I've tried everything. It says "weak GPS, try in P mode." I know the GPS isn't weak because it can tell me exactly how far the drone is from me down to exact feet.

I have some pics i'm going to try to upload here...

Plenty of threads describing the weak performance of DJI Active Track and Follow Me modes. Hence the reason that specialty drones like Staaker and Airdog II have a niche market following.

One thing I did to improve upon DJI’s weak follow mode was to switch to the “Autopilot” app, and come up with a reasonably compact, robust waterproof container to stuff the DJI controller into while I was moving around on something like a bike or paddle board. I use a Nanuk 904.

Autopilot is limited to IOS devices but does have the option of the drone following an additional cell-connected iPhone, albeit with a bit more response latency. I don’t have a second active iPhone sitting around so I have to use the controller/primary iPhone as the tracking target.

Autopilot also uses the iPhone barometer to calibrate for altitude adjustment during tracking. I live in a flat area so I can’t speak to how well the altitude compensation works. Autopilot Follow mode is definitely not perfect, but it’s waaaay better than than DJI Follow mode or Active Track. It’s a resource hungry program so a speedy iPhone 8 is preferred. An iPhone 6 is too slow.

One other advantage: you can run Autopilot Follow mode with the optical avoidance off (not doable with DJI Go4) resulting in a more aggressive follow speed

(Interesting that everyone wants a better camera in the MP II. My #1 Mavic upgrade would be to have a waterproof gps/barometer wrist band option for tracking along with a 50+ mph top speed to keep up and handle any wind issues. Endless scenic camera shots bore the heck out of me.......and something like this would be way more useful than options like those clunky goggles)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Actually I sent it back to DJI and they replaced the "esc board." Let's see if it works when I get it back via UPS!

Any luck? I've had no success with either P3 Pro (gave up on it after litchi flyaway trying to get a workable follow solution) an now with Mavic Pro. Same problem as described by OP. Have spent days going thru every forum thread and trying suggestions, it's definitely not a weak GPS on the mobile device(s). Terribly disappointed.

All the intelligent modes are working, except the only one i anticipate using: follow me.

Brand new Mavic Pro.

Phone: I've tried both galaxy s4 and galaxy s5.
Phone GPS: I've tried location on "GPS Only" and "high accuracy."
Mode: i've tried in sport mode and non-sport mode.
Drone Setting: I've tried with the switch by the MicroSD on wifi and on Rc.
Updates: I've updated all firmware.
App: Go4, all updated.

I've tried everything. It says "weak GPS, try in P mode." I know the GPS isn't weak because it can tell me exactly how far the drone is from me down to exact feet.

I have some pics i'm going to try to upload here...
Interesting, because mines brand new too and I'm only just starting to try out these modes but this follow me mode didn't work for me either. Of course, I thought it was me so was and will have a look at it next time but if not, be getting a new one. Be nice to wait a bit though, been here before and sometimes you end up with the latest model.

It might be a blessing in disguise. There are a lot of crash videos generated by follow me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy