DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Following a skier down the hill.

pilot1

Reactions
Will the Mavic Air 2 following a skier down a hill including descending in altitude?
If yes, will it maintain a similar altitude above the sloping ground all the way down?

Probably not, at least the original Mavic using Go4 using the various follow modes would not. The reasoning was that it could not tell if there was an obstacle under it so it would be more susceptible to a crash. It was allowed to gain altitude because it was less likely to have anything above it.

You could see if it will follow you as, perhaps, you walk down a hill.

I was going to post to check out YouTube for the answer but someone did.

It will not work unless you have foliage on the trees.
Is this what collision avoidance can do?
That is fantastic!!!!!!

Yes, I understand how foliage on trees would present a bigger target for avoidance but how the AC avoided the tree trunks round about the 2min mark was an eye-opener for me. Great flying and fun to watch

Seems like only the YouTubers that get the drones for free do these kinds of tests! I would NOT want to try this with my drone.

Reactions: Yogi053
I think with downhill skiing, it is hit and miss. I believe one poster here said it followed him a bit, then consistently stopped. Realize the manual specifically cautions using Active Tack against white backgrounds like snow, so if the drone has issues, DJI is going to point you to the manual. Also, watch your speeds to make sure it doesn't lose you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet