DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fool unmasked?

I do the same thing from the plastic bed cover of my Toyota Tundra. I've been doing it for years with my original Mavic Pro and now my Mavic 2 Pro. Never had a single problem. Not even so much as a warning.

Although, sadly I only get 12 to 13 mpg out of the Tundra as a mobile launch platform. :)

First off... one of the best Usernames EVER!!

Secondly if you wouldn't leave the drone on the mobile launch platform you can cut down on the highway drag LOL

I do the same thing from the plastic bed cover of my Toyota Tundra. I've been doing it for years with my original Mavic Pro and now my Mavic 2 Pro. Never had a single problem. Not even so much as a warning.

That’s because we’re driving plastic! :) That’s my Tacoma in the photo above and I thought it would be cool to put a vinyl landing pad sticker on my hood until I found out about the compass error issue.

I was just using my hood as a resting place in the photo after I picked up the pad and drone from the ground. In that place on the photo, I was flying from the only open space around, which was in the middle of the dirt road. Luckily, it was very seldomly traveled! If I did not have a shell, I would definitely fly from the bed in situations like that.

First off... one of the best Usernames EVER!!

Secondly if you wouldn't leave the drone on the mobile launch platform you can cut down on the highway drag LOL

Thanks! So that's what I've been doing wrong! Next time I'll bring the Mavic into the cab before heading out. My Tundra has been given a Native American name like Dances with Wolves. It's known as Truck Needs Gas.

• Haha
Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
My initial thoughts are, if it works without error messages then no problem, but if you’re concerned just launch from the ground 10-12 feet away from your truck. The latter is my habit as I get compass error messages when I try to launch from the top or hood of my car.

Me too!

Moving in a slightly different direction...... would an aluminum landing pad negate the effects of iron underneath it?

Alright, I'm putting myself out here like an idiot, but relying on the charity of the "constructive criticism" I've seen in these forums I must ask these questions. I've only flown for two months and have 82 successful flights logged. 90% of those flights originated and terminated from my mobile launch/recovery platform (MLRP)(okay, I made up that acronym). Having seen repeated forum comments about metallic interference e.g. rebar in sidewalks, wristwatches, etc. I need to know:
  1. Have I been very lucky and am flirting with disaster?
  2. Does the Chevy Silverado possess more plastic than metal?
I only get the "interference/recalibrate" warning when I have traveled 20 miles or so from my last flight location. After recalibration, my flight direction arrow matches my true heading and the home point sets correctly. I use auto take-off and RTH is accurate to less than 2 meters (I always take over control when the AC is overhead).

I hate to give up this MLRP as it gets 16-22 mpg, delivers 355 hp @ 5600 rpm, has a 2068 lb. payload, and is 4WD. But, I don't want to trash my M2P either...

View attachment 74523View attachment 74524View attachment 74525
Only the Mavic Air has a chronic allergy to metal. As part of your preflight check list just make sure the drone is facing in the correct orientation on the map before take off.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to place the drone facing a known road on the map and make sure the map shows the drone is facing that direction on the mini map. This goes for any take off anywhere and adds zero time to your preflight other then glancing at the map. It’s just a good practice anyway and can alert you to a problem before take off. As long is the drone identifies itself as pointing in the correct direction it doesn’t even matter if it shows a mag interference error

I think you'll appreciate the input from @dirkclod as he is VERY experienced with this exact situation.
I trust my Go App and always have. If it says good to go it is. Has been with my Phantoms as well as 3 Mavics . I always hand catch but have did the precision landing and it hit dead center of my truck bed .Video'd that also to prove it but I take off from right over my 5th wheel hole I don't have a ball in . You can see the rear end at the start of this . Now if it showed an error I would never attempt it .Have used my roof but on the hood is a no go .

Appreciate the advice all. Will run the compass over the top to double-check. Tonneau cover is
a rigid aluminum frame with textured aluminum panels.

Reactions: TR Ganey
I trust my Go App and always have. If it says good to go it is. Has been with my Phantoms as well as 3 Mavics . I always hand catch but have did the precision landing and it hit dead center of my truck bed .Video'd that also to prove it but I take off from right over my 5th wheel hole I don't have a ball in . You can see the rear end at the start of this . Now if it showed an error I would never attempt it .Have used my roof but on the hood is a no go .
I am quite surprised because I assume the 90 GMC would have a steel bed and it would cause problems. Maybe it’s an alloy?

I understand, Then the only thing that will happen sooner is it will start to slow its descent at a slightly higher level than normal, right? Obviously that wouldn’t affect the landing at all.
Actually I have not seen this behavior. Wherever I land it gives a pause at about 4’ above actual ground below it before landing.

I understand, Then the only thing that will happen sooner is it will start to slow its descent at a slightly higher level than normal, right? Obviously that wouldn’t affect the landing at all.
No. The aircraft position at take-off has no effect on the landing speed. It will just keep lowering as directed until it detects the ground (with bottom sensors on) and then it will land. While airborne above ~30ft the Mavic does not know where the ground is. You can reset the home point while aloft and RTH will go to that GPS position and lower until it detects the ground.

Reactions: Thomas B
No. The aircraft position at take-off has no effect on the landing speed. It will just keep lowering as directed until it detects the ground (with bottom sensors on) and then it will land. While airborne above ~30ft the Mavic does not know where the ground is. You can reset the home point while aloft and RTH will go to that GPS position and lower until it detects the ground.

Ok, so its just the optical and IR sensors that cause it to slow down and raise the camera and turn on landing lights when it’s descending close to the ground?

Also, what allows it to know when to just hover when if it can’t see the ground at all? (too dark, sand or snow, etc).

Ok, so its just the optical and IR sensors that cause it to slow down and raise the camera and turn on landing lights when it’s descending close to the ground?

Also, what allows it to know when to just hover when if it can’t see the ground at all? (too dark, sand or snow, etc).
The drone will give you a popup warning if it doesn’t like the location for landing and it will hover at about 4’. Mine also gives me an option to force the landing, but you can do it with the controller sticks also.

I am quite surprised because I assume the 90 GMC would have a steel bed and it would cause problems. Maybe it’s an alloy?
All steel. US of A kind bro.

Think about it- If your bottom sensors are not working and your drone is auto lending, the barometer/altimeter will tell the drone that it’s at ground level at the elevated takeoff height, and the motors will shut off too soon making your drone fall the remainder of the distance. It’s sort of like what happened to the Mars Polar Lander.
I don't think this is true as I always take of from my deck which is about 6 ft above ground I use RTH and sometimes it misses the landing pad and just lans on the ground in front of the deck. 6 ft down.

Reactions: AMann
Thanks! So that's what I've been doing wrong! Next time I'll bring the Mavic into the cab before heading out. My Tundra has been given a Native American name like Dances with Wolves. It's known as Truck Needs Gas.
Those last 8 lertters of your name should be removed by Mods as it is kinda like swearing ? :p :rolleyes:Thumbswayup

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
So now I am genuinely surprised it didn’t cause any interference.
To be honest I am too. But it is what it says it is. Meta seemed to think it was because I was inside the bed and
The walls made it so I never had problems so I did try the roof and could. Tryed the hood several times but showed error so have always just took off from bed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green