DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For Mini 4 Pro users

Georgerom

Reactions
I think is better to know for Mini 4 Pro users, that DJI did something that I didn't expect at all. They take off the manual vision sensors calibration from the DJI Assistant 2 and now if you have a problem with the sensors you have to send the drone to them for calibration. This sounds to me like another attempt to rip us more than they have done already.
This thing applies to Air3 and Mavic 3 series as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
I think is better to know for Mini 4 Pro users, that DJI did something that I didn't expect at all. They take off the manual vision sensors calibration from the DJI Assistant 2 and now if you have a problem with the sensors you have to send the drone to them for calibration. This sounds to me like another attempt to rip us more than they have done already.
This thing applies to Air3 and Mavic 3 series as well.
I can assure you there is nothing nefarious here. This isn't a money maker in any way shape or form. In fact, if someone were to come to me and said "Look, let's damage the Company reputation and force our customers to ship their drones back to us (while the rest of the Company is working extra hard trying to make sure drones going out the door *don't* come back) by removing a simple feature they could do themselves and now require us to do it and we can charge a fee; we can make money on that! The shop is already stacked high with drones coming in for all sorts of ridiculous reasons that we can't get to, let's add on top of that pile by disabling the sensor calibration." That person would be fired and can go work for Autel and pull that sort of nonsense over there. :)

I can assure you there is nothing nefarious here. This isn't a money maker in any way shape or form. In fact, if someone were to come to me and said "Look, let's damage the Company reputation and force our customers to ship their drones back to us (while the rest of the Company is working extra hard trying to make sure drones going out the door *don't* come back) by removing a simple feature they could do themselves and now require us to do it and we can charge a fee; we can make money on that! The shop is already stacked high with drones coming in for all sorts of ridiculous reasons that we can't get to, let's add on top of that pile by disabling the sensor calibration." That person would be fired and can go work for Autel and pull that sort of nonsense over there. :)
If that is the truth then why did they disable it because there was no problem with Mini3/pro and other drones before. I talked with them and they said there will be fees applied if the drone is out of warranty or they find out it will be a pilot error. That for me it is an opportunity to make us more dependent on them

If that is the truth then why did they disable it because there was no problem with Mini3/pro and other drones before. I talked with them and they said there will be fees applied if the drone is out of warranty or they find out it will be a pilot error. That for me it is an opportunity to make us more dependent on them
I don't know why they did it, you'll have to ask DJI but I know what it isn't. If they wanted to make us dependent on them, they would force you to send in your drone to upgrade your software to get new features and charge you $100.

I don't know why they did it, you'll have to ask DJI but I know what it isn't. If they wanted to make us dependent on them, they would force you to send in your drone to upgrade your software to get new features and charge you $100.
I asked already and the answer is for safety reasons that is all they can say which sounds ridiculous to me. Was not a concern before and suddenly it is now. This is what makes me more suspicious.

actually its to do with the start up process during the time it takes for the home point to update ,and the drone be ready for flight,the vision sensors go through an automatic calibration,on the latest models,in the line up ,so there is no need to have something ,that was often a time consuming,and difficult procedure ,of trying to manually calibrate the sensors

actually its to do with the start up process during the time it takes for the home point to update ,and the drone be ready for flight,the vision sensors go through an automatic calibration,on the latest models,in the line up ,so there is no need to have something ,that was often a time consuming,and difficult procedure ,of trying to manually calibrate the sensors
I know that now is automatic but if you want to change any of the sensors you have to send the drone to them for a recalibration. They won't let you do any repairs by yourself even if the drone is out of warranty and you have the knowledge of how to fix it. This bothers me the most. They monopolized every aspect.

I am not a fan of dji corporate....but I think that the fight they are having to keep dji from being banned is taking all their efforts and time...they already have gotten the gov't mad at them...I don't think they want to do anything to chase their customers away, too

Reactions: mavic3usa
I am not a fan of dji corporate....but I think that the fight they are having to keep dji from being banned is taking all their efforts and time...they already have gotten the gov't mad at them...I don't think they want to do anything to chase their customers away, too
Well, it is sad for them but this is happening when you try to monopolize everything and not let others grow with you.
One example was Yuneec. They make good drones but because they can't compete with DJI in the manufacturing cost they quit, That is one example. Hopefully, the law will not pass the Senate but they need to review their behavior towards others.

... they said there will be fees applied if the drone is out of warranty or they find out it will be a pilot error. That for me it is an opportunity to make us more dependent on them
What other companies repair products for free after they're out of warranty? What other companies repair products that were damaged by the user without a charge?

You're free to have repairs done by other parties. They're not forcing you to use their services.

What other companies repair products for free after they're out of warranty? What other companies repair products that were damaged by the user without a charge?

You're free to have repairs done by other parties. They're not forcing you to use their services.
The company is called ME. I want to do the repairs. And yes they force me to do something which was not enforced before. Read my first post.

The company is called ME. I want to do the repairs. And yes they force me to do something which was not enforced before. Read my first post.
I did read your first post. Different issue. I was responding to the suggestion that services should be free for damaged or out of warranty products.

Not important.

Last edited:

Hi @MS Coast ...I think that is the point that @Georgerom is that one used to be able to do the calibration, and now that choice has been taken away and he does have to send it to dji to take care of it....John Deere has recently lost court cases referred to as "right to repair". They were forcing farmers to have diagnosis and repair work done by Deere only. Guys needed diagnostic tools only owned by Deere, not available to the public, and the repairs needed calibration that could only be done by Deere techs, with Deere specific instruments, that, again, were not available to the general public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Georgerom
Hi @MS Coast ...I think that is the point that @Georgerom is that one used to be able to do the calibration, and now that choice has been taken away and he does have to send it to dji to take care of it....John Deere has recently lost court cases referred to as "right to repair". They were forcing farmers to have diagnosis and repair work done by Deere only. Guys needed diagnostic tools only owned by Deere, not available to the public, and the repairs needed calibration that could only be done by Deere techs, with Deere specific instruments, that, again, were not available to the general; public.
Right. I do understand that and agree.

Is it possible the calibration procedure is no longer simple enough with the full 360 spherical OA, implemented with fewer (4), corner-mounted 180 fisheye cameras, to be done with just a computer monitor in one direction?

Maybe there's some special jig with 6 screens on each (virtual) "cube face" direction that's needed, or something. Don't quote me on that, pure speculation. However, I can easily see that calibration of the OA system could have requirements that exceed the facility of the ordinary consumer.

Converging two flat images from the forward-facing OA cameras on the Mavic Pro with single flat image in front of the drone is easy.

Doing the same when each of the 4 cameras are looking in 3 directions at the same time, not so much. 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avivf377