DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Formatting New SD Card

quister

Reactions
I looked around to see if this question has been asked recently, but couldn't find any threads. I bought a couple of new 32 GB SD cards for my Mavic Pro and was just wondering if there is a certain routine one uses to format a new card. Or does the AC take care of that automatically during start-up?

Reactions: Slade
just wondering if there is a certain routine one uses to format a new card
Nope. And it'll probably work just fine if you do nothing but insert and use it.

If you'd like to format it, you can format it from the following section in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Format-Memory-Card.jpg

Reactions: BD0G and Thomas B
Just want to add, incase this is a new drone that you haven't setup before for SD that you do need to switch the storage from internal to the SD card.

Reactions: Thomas B
Just want to add, incase this is a new drone that you haven't setup before for SD that you do need to switch the storage from internal to the SD card.
The Mavic Pro does not have an internal storage option.

Reactions: MAVIC_2_YTS
Thanks, you guys. It is a new Mavic Pro and it came with a 16 GB card already inserted into the AC's card slot. During my first few maiden flights I took both stills and video with that card and it recorded just fine. That's why I was unsure if formatting is an auto-process in the AC at start-up or if that card had been formatted by some other method prior to leaving the factory. Out of curiosity, what exactly does formatting do, which would answer why is it necessary? My Canon DSLR cards need to be formatted too. It's great to have this forum as a resource, I really appreciate the community that supports all of this sharing of information.

Thanks, you guys. It is a new Mavic Pro and it came with a 16 GB card already inserted into the AC's card slot. During my first few maiden flights I took both stills and video with that card and it recorded just fine. That's why I was unsure if formatting is an auto-process in the AC at start-up or if that card had been formatted by some other method prior to leaving the factory. Out of curiosity, what exactly does formatting do, which would answer why is it necessary? My Canon DSLR cards need to be formatted too. It's great to have this forum as a resource, I really appreciate the community that supports all of this sharing of information.
A quick search of the internet found this.What does formatting an sd card do?

I looked around to see if this question has been asked recently, but couldn't find any threads. I bought a couple of new 32 GB SD cards for my Mavic Pro and was just wondering if there is a certain routine one uses to format a new card. Or does the AC take care of that automatically during start-up?
I always Format my card using DJI Go4 app. It works.

I flew yesterday, so I inserted a new 32 GB card in the AC and pressed the "camera settings" prompt on the screen to bring up the formatting option in the menu per msinger's clear instructions above. I could not find the "Format SD Card" option...but now that I'm looking at msinger's picture of the screen again I'm seeing the three icons at the top of that screen that I wasn't aware of yesterday...I must have been in the "shutter" icon screen so I'll try again. Anyway, I had mission to take some aerials of some property so I put my old 16 GB card back in that I knew would work, took the photos and landed. On a hunch from one of replies above, I reloaded the new 32 GB card, took the AC to a low hover and clicked a couple of stills to see what would happen. Darn if the stills didn't record just fine without a formal formatting. Also, thanks to BossBob for sharing the link to what formatting does. I found it very informative...especially the part that if you re-format an old card you are going to lose any files on it. Thanks guys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone