DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPS

JeanVos

Reactions
Hi Guys,

What frame rate are you using for 2.7 and 4K. I have watched different videos regarding this and it seems that 25fps is the way to go, bit then someone comes along with a 30 or more... I am using the footage straight from the SD card; no post production work; just download, patch together and watch on TV...

We used to be tied to the standards set in each country, but YouTube made that largely irrelevant so you can take your pick. 30 is smoother on the pans, so I do that...

"30 is smoother on the pans, so I do that..."

I get very nice quality footage overall, but the "stuttering" on the yaw ("pans?") is a bit irritating. Will the FPS fix that?

"Smoothness" at lower frame rates (30 fps or lower) is a product of motion blur. It is a must if you want smooth looking pans or action shots. For motion blur to occur, you must use a slower shutter speed, ideally twice the value of the FPS.

To control the shutter speed on the Zoom, you must use filters. So if you want to use 30 FPS, you need to be willing to use ND filters to keep the shutter speed as close to 60 as possible. If you can't use or don't want to use filters, then 60 FPS will probably give you smoother looking videos.

Please shoot holes in my limited knowledge... :)

Last edited:
"Smoothness" at lower frame rates (30 fps or lower) is a product of motion blur. It is a must if you want smooth looking pans or action shots. For motion blur to occur, you must use a slower shutter speed, ideally twice the value of the FPS.

To control the shutter speed on the Zoom, you must use filters. So if you want to use 30 FPS, you need to be willing to use ND filters to keep the shutter speed as close to 60 as possible. If you can't use or don't want to use filters, then 60 FPS will probably give you smoother looking videos.

Please shoot holes in my limited knowledge... :)
So in short, until I get my filters (incoming) I must use 60FPS?

Using 60 FPS is not a "MUST" but if your goal is to get smooth video, 60 FPS would get you smoother video than 30 FPS all other things being equal. In other words, if you are shooting on a bright sunny day with a fast shutter speed, 60 FPS would be smoother.

However, if it is cloudy and not very bright, check your shutter speed. If your shutter speed, with the natural conditions, is close to 1/60 second, then you will be able to get motion blur and the video will have that "smooth" look while using 30 FPS. But it is unlikely, even on a cloudy day, that you would be able to get the shutter speed down to 1/60 second with the Mavic 2 Zoom without using filters.

Personally, I like the look of 60 FPS. It provides a nice smooth video without worrying so much about shutter speed. But the trade off is larger files and more computing power required for post production.

Just my 2 cents...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast