DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Freewell ND filter (without PL) or PolarPro Vivid Collection ND/PL for my Air 2?

Foxadriano

Reactions
Hi, I have never been so indecisive, I hope someone can advise me. I have recently got the Mavic Air 2 and and I'd like to buy ND filters for my Mavic Air 2 but I don't know whether to buy the Freewell ND (without PL) or PolarPro Vivid Collection ND/PL. I take only UHD (4K) videos. I have very positive reviews on Freewell filters without PL. But I know PolarPro Vivid Collection ND/PL are very good too but I am afraid that "PL" (polarization) gives some saturated colors compared to the filters without "PL". Which of the both ND filters do you recommend?
1000 thanks and I hope you don't make me wait too long for your welcome advice. ;)
Adriano

Last edited:
Which of the both ND filters do you recommend?
Hi Adriano, ND filter is enough! I made the best experiences with the ND 16. If you shoot in the snow and sunshine you need a ND32 or even ND 64! The pola is required if you shoot water surfaces. It reduces the reflexions and you can see through the water. It also does saturate the colors of the vegetation and a clouy sky!
To saturate vegetation, clouds in the sky you do not really need a PL filter because you can do it in the editing!
here you´ll find the freewell stuff:
hope I could help you, cheers Paul

Hi, I have never been so indecisive, I hope someone can advise me. I have recently got the Mavic Air 2 and and I'd like to buy ND filters for my Mavic Air 2 but I don't know whether to buy the Freewell ND (without PL) or PolarPro Vivid Collection ND/PL. I take only UHD (4K) videos. I have very positive reviews on Freewell filters without PL. But I know PolarPro Vivid Collection ND/PL are very good too but I am afraid that "PL" (polarization) gives some saturated colors compared to the filters without "PL". Which of the both ND filters do you recommend?
1000 thanks and I hope you don't make me wait too long for your welcome advice. ;)
Adriano
It's based on preference. I have both ND & PL, but primarily end up using PL to eliminate glare and reflections. Whatever you end up getting, I would suggest NOT buying from FREEWELL - they are a terrible company and will personally attack you if you ever reach out to them regarding any issues with your filters - i.e. warranty, etc.

Polar Pro is the gold standard in filters and Tiffen usually ranks #2 behind polar pro - and provides more value if you're looking for a lower cost solution. You can go through DroneDj's extensive review & comparison - amongst 54 brands of filters for Mavic 2 (you can extrapolate the same would apply to Air 2) - here's the direct link: 54 Mavic 2 Filters Polar Pro, Tiffen, rest. Which filters are best? - DroneDJ

If you want a quick summary - they recommend Tiffen because it's almost equal to Polar Pro in quality and costs less money.

Fwiw, DroneDj.com also suggests variable ND filters should be part of your kit. Here's their article: Moment variable ND and CPL filters for Mavic Air 2 are here - DroneDJ

Hi Adriano, ND filter is enough! I made the best experiences with the ND 16. If you shoot in the snow and sunshine you need a ND32 or even ND 64! The pola is required if you shoot water surfaces. It reduces the reflexions and you can see through the water. It also does saturate the colors of the vegetation and a clouy sky!
To saturate vegetation, clouds in the sky you do not really need a PL filter because you can do it in the editing!
here you´ll find the freewell stuff:
hope I could help you, cheers Paul

You are a special friend, I thank you so much for your fast reply. I have the same your idea.

It's based on preference. I have both ND & PL, but primarily end up using PL to eliminate glare and reflections. Whatever you end up getting, I would suggest NOT buying from FREEWELL - they are a terrible company and will personally attack you if you ever reach out to them regarding any issues with your filters - i.e. warranty, etc.

Polar Pro is the gold standard in filters and Tiffen usually ranks #2 behind polar pro - and provides more value if you're looking for a lower cost solution. You can go through DroneDj's extensive review & comparison - amongst 54 brands of filters for Mavic 2 (you can extrapolate the same would apply to Air 2) - here's the direct link: 54 Mavic 2 Filters Polar Pro, Tiffen, rest. Which filters are best? - DroneDJ

If you want a quick summary - they recommend Tiffen because it's almost equal to Polar Pro in quality and costs less money.

Fwiw, DroneDj.com also suggests variable ND filters should be part of your kit. Here's their article: Moment variable ND and CPL filters for Mavic Air 2 are here - DroneDJ

Dear special friend, I thank you so much for your fasr reply. You are telling you use more often ND filters with PL. It might be interesting to have a more saturated color at the time of the shot. The video might be better to watch but ...

if you do something wrong in the shooting phase, then it is much more difficult to solve the color problem in post production (grading). Do you do video editing? Can you tell me something about it?

Then I'd like to know why PolarPro doesn't build ND filters without "PL" for Mavic Air 2. I live in Europe and can't find them, not even online.
As soon as possible I will use the drone in Africa, in remote areas where there is a lot of sun and red ground and maybe it is better to use a ND filter without "PL".
Could I buy PolarPro for my Air 2? I can't find PolarPro without "PL" and neither Tiffen in my country.
I need to tell I'm inexperienced about drones and any answers would be invaluable, but if given only by experienced drone users.
Thank you!

Last edited:
You have valid points and ND is perfect for most. I'm not a professional photographer and just like the PL output more without having to do any editing.

Polar Pro sells a Combo Set of Variable ND (multiple ND stops built in one) - makes it easy to cary around compared to a full set of individual ND filter. I can't speak for how you could get them in your country, though I do see them for sale on their webpage: VND Filter - Cinema Series | Mavic Air 2

You could also look at Moment filters - they also make VND:

Regarding Freewell, they are a company based out of Hong Kong / China and have no business etiquette or concept of helping their customers - so if you have any problems or want to take advantage of their lifetime warranty - they will send you personal attacks instead of trying to understand what the issue may be.

You are a special friend, I thank you so much for your fast reply. I have the same your idea.
you´r welcome Adriano! I love Italians, because my mother was an Italian too from Como ?
Sono contente che ho potuto aiutarti amic Adriano ?
cheers, salutoni,
Paolo

I understand Freewell is not a good Company, you are right but even PolarPro isn't a good Company. I hope someone will explain it to me, I can't understand why this Company doesn't make linear filters without PL. It makes only variables ND filters without PL. All the the Companies in the world also make linear filters without PL. I hope someone can explain it to me.
Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
you´r welcome Adriano! I love Italians, because my mother was an Italian too from Como ?

It is nice, she lived on the lake. ;) Thank you for your news.

Could I ask what precise ND filter do you use usually?... and what brand?

hope someone can explain it to me.
Anyway tnhanks for your suggestions.
good queation Adriano, but I´m affraid the only Freewell can tell you why they do not PL without ND filters ?
It is nice, she lived on the lake. ;) Thank you for your news.

Could I ask what precise ND filter do you use usually?... and what brand?
Yes not far from the lake! You´r welcome! I use mostly the ND 16 and rarely the PL both comes from Sunnylife and the quality is top! Even though I payd about 10 Euro for each!
here is a singular ND 16

saluti Paul

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929