DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell Variable ND filters vs single-strength ND

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
One of the members had recommended the Freewell variable ND filters rather than the single strength filters. The advantage is obvious. Are there any disadvantages?

You mean besides the vignetting / polarization (uneven coverage across the frame) that I mentioned in that thread already?

Why create a brand new thread for your additional question?

You mean besides the vignetting / polarization (uneven coverage across the frame) that I mentioned in that thread already?

Why create a brand new thread for your additional question?
It was not your thread that I referred to and don’t recall seeing it. @THE CYBORG made a comment about them in passing in the CODEC discussion. I wouldn't has asked my "additional question" in a new thread had I seen your previously. Perhaps there might have been a kinder way for you to say it, and perhaps include the link to your thread?

It was not your thread that I referred to and don’t recall seeing it. @THE CYBORG made a comment about them in passing in the CODEC discussion. I wouldn't has asked my "additional question" in a new thread had I seen your previously. Perhaps there might have been a kinder way for you to say it, and perhaps include the link to your thread?

I get no vignetting / polarization after all they aren't a polarizing filter.

Apologies, I assumed you came from a different thread. Yes, I could have provided a link to the thread I spoke of.

My comments on VND vs fixed are in post #4 of this thread:

ND filter changing speed

Cheers, Chris

I get no vignetting / polarization after all they aren't a polarizing filter.

They aren't a polarizing filter, but they get the variable effect due to the way they work, which is similar to polarization (but not the same kind of polarization that we think of in PL filters to cut reflections).

From the following article:

"A variable ND lens filter blocks out light as a result of the way the filter is made. Variable ND filters consist of two circular, polarising layers of glass that are placed in opposition to each other. The inner layer screws onto the camera lens and stays fixed. The outer layer is attached to a ring at the front of the filter frame and can be rotated. "

I'm not saying they shouldn't be used, and there are probably produces of varying degrees of quality (the ones you use may be relatively decent quality). It is simply my choice to not introduce possible degradation of image fidelity.

Edit: and the OP of this thread asked for possible disadvantages

Chris

They aren't a polarizing filter, but they get the variable effect due to the way they work, which is similar to polarization (but not the same kind of polarization that we think of in PL filters to cut reflections).

From the following article:

"A variable ND lens filter blocks out light as a result of the way the filter is made. Variable ND filters consist of two circular, polarising layers of glass that are placed in opposition to each other. The inner layer screws onto the camera lens and stays fixed. The outer layer is attached to a ring at the front of the filter frame and can be rotated. "

I'm not saying they shouldn't be used, and there are probably produces of varying degrees of quality (the ones you use may be relatively decent quality). It is simply my choice to not introduce possible degradation of image fidelity.

Edit: and the OP of this thread asked for possible disadvantages

Chris

Fair point Not A Speck Of Cereal
I can only go by me own experience, I have had no problems whatsoever.

Reactions: Thanev
Apologies, I assumed you came from a different thread. Yes, I could have provided a link to the thread I spoke of.

My comments on VND vs fixed are in post #4 of this thread:

ND filter changing speed

Cheers, Chris

No problem. Thanks for acknowledging. I'll look at all the threads. I had an order for the Freewell VND's on Amazon but cancelled it until I can consider my purchase a bit move.

I reconsidered my purchase and the two brands that kept coming up were Polarpro and Skyreat. Both got good reviews but Skyreat was the better deal. One of the reviewers I follow was really keen on Skyreat. And as a "Prime" member, Amazon has "free returns". If they don't meet the quality and specs that I expect I can return them and usually have a good amount of time to try things like this. It may come to ordering the PolarPro ones too to see which I like better. I just want the best I can get for the best price.

Anyone have experience with Skyreat filters? PolarPro seems to get more attention.

....It is simply my choice to not introduce possible degradation of image fidelity.
Chris makes a good point.
You'll have to come back and land to adjust anyway.
I fly with an ND 8 on most all the time.
If I need to change it (not often), it's simple enough to do and I carry my filters with me in my drone backback.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut