DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter changing speed

barrybcar

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Maybe it’s just my being so conservative with making sure to treat the camera with finesse. But it seems that the filter change should be much quicker than it takes me.

Do any of you have any tricks or do I just need to be patient?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I have the freewell all day seris and they are very quick to change. The hardest part is getting off th original blanking cover. The freewells require little force to get on and off

My opinion: Variable ND filter is certainly more convenient, but you have to accept a certain drop in quality. Search the web and you'll find articles discussing the disadvantages in variable ND filters are vignetting / polarization (or uneven ND coverage across the frame, giving you a darker side or corners).

In the still camera world, you can improve your changes by buying very expensive VNDs, which have reduced vignetting effects. They're still not perfect. but they're good enough for some folk who are willing to lose a bit of quality for convenience. (It's not clear to me that there is an expensive VND filter for drones that close the gap in the same way.)

But the convenience is short lived in the drone world,.because you still have to land the craft to adjust it. If you could change the values while the aircraft is still in the sky, that might be a bigger advantage.

Of course, you still have to *change* the fixed filter after landing the craft, while you only need to adjust the filter with the VND.

Another note: I vary rarely shoot in conditions that change so much in lighting and direct sunlight that I have to land and change filters much. In fact, the only time I change filters is when I put the wrong one on in the first place, in which case only a single filter change is all that's required (until the light changes significantly).

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure someone can post an article about how the VND is just as good or much better today. There are plenty of articles on the web to support both sides. Look at them all and use your own judgement.

Chris

Do any of you have any tricks or do I just need to be patient?
I’ve found different manufacturers’ filters fit differently on my M2P. Some twist on and off without much friction. With some filters I’ve had to hold the camera with one hand while pushing down (towards the camera) and twisting the filter with the other hand.

I use polar pro and I have a 3D printed tool to hold and twist. Quite easy and fast.
Tool is mostly needed for the factory clear bezel.

Try this tool

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming