DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To ND filter or not to ND filter? That is the question.

Think of the ND filter as just a tool to A) help you achieve the 180 degree shutter angle for video OR B) if the light is SO bright even for stills that you need ND to get proper exposure.

Regarding AUTO settings, I highly encourage you to use manual settings--especially for auto white balance in video. As you circle around a subject, you may see the WB literally change / adapt before your eyes in the same take with auto WB. Even from take to take when you go to edit and many of the shots are different WB. Amateur look. Auto exposure is a slightly different matter where in some cases it *might help you, like if you are in a hurry, but most often not IMHO.
I like to take about 10 seconds worth of video looking at a white balance card, held in the light I'm going to be shooting in, and use that reference to do my white balance.

Reactions: Ridgeback65
I like to take about 10 seconds worth of video looking at a white balance card, held in the light I'm going to be shooting in, and use that reference to do my white balance.
I did that regularly with my DSLR but have never done so with my drone. Shooting RAW/DLog leave me enough leeway to adjust in post. The biggest challenge is Auto/Manual as there are times when Auto is a better choice but I never have it on by default and sometimes kick myself :).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N