DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

From outdoors to indoors

ELPS

Reactions
searched and couldnt find anything specific on this. If I want to fly starting outdoors through a double door going indoors would there be any issues that would arise? Already flew indoors in this space and worked fine.

Just a presumption.
You might lose satellites/GPS for a few minutes once you go indoor, AC would switch to Atti, be ready for that.

Use Tripod mode, this will limit your speed and reduce the remotes stick movement. This will help prevent and sudden moves which could catch you off guard.

Also, set the option to hover if you lose GPS signals, you don’t want your Mavic trying the RTH when flying indoors.

I have used these methods without issue, it took me a lot of trial and error to get a smooth transition. Also, think about you camera settings such as exposure as you could fly indoors and find you have a very dark exposure. Again, trial and error, share your experience if it works for you.

Use Tripod mode, this will limit your speed and reduce the remotes stick movement. This will help prevent and sudden moves which could catch you off guard.

Also, set the option to hover if you lose GPS signals, you don’t want your Mavic trying the RTH when flying indoors.

I have used these methods without issue, it took me a lot of trial and error to get a smooth transition. Also, think about you camera settings such as exposure as you could fly indoors and find you have a very dark exposure. Again, trial and error, share your experience if it works for you.

Thanks. I was going to do it in tripod but good advice on the RTH.

I think RTH only happens when you loose connection to the AC from RC not loosing GPS.

I wouldn't fly tripod mode transitioning to indoors as it needs GPS to work, I would however use prop guards in this sort of flight

tripod mode.png

It should simply switch to opti mode using downward sensors, this does require reasonable light levels and a floor with some pattern ideally.
I'd be tempted to start indoors and go out, reversing the footage if you want to show it 'coming in'.

searched and couldnt find anything specific on this. If I want to fly starting outdoors through a double door going indoors would there be any issues that would arise? Already flew indoors in this space and worked fine.

When you flew inside the building before did you still have a solid GPS signal? Or did you were you in Opti mode from the get go on your indoor flight? Where the Mavic seems to have issues in some situations is when the flight control is making the switch between different modes of flight on it's own. If you had solid GPS signal indoors then the only thing you may need to be concerned with is if the doors you are going through have enough metal in the frames to cause a compass error. You can easily test this by going into the Sensors screen and walking through the doors while holding the mavic and see what the compass measures in terms of magnetic interference.

I actually just did this last week. I started from outside and fly indoors in an extremely tight cooridor. I 100% do not recommend. The drone hovered like crazy and wouldn't stay in place because of gps signal. I flew in tripod mode. Somebody above mentioned you should do that, but I don't see how you could operate the drone without using tripod mode. Even cinematic mode is way to fast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jageist