DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Front leg collapsed mid air, nearly cut off by back leg

Okay I got it now he didn't have the front legs extended all the way out the so the back leg prop is what cut into the foot of the mavic

Attachments

• 1561939202897521427611.jpg
    1561939202897521427611.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 68
I read that but the back leg cutting into the front leg isn't the legs plastic on all the mavics
The OP stated what happened to the letter, where does hard landing and or any other theory came I to play here. The propeller cut into the leg/foot. That's were it stands as of now.

Reactions: Lbesing
I too called the stuff "Duct Tape" for years, until I tried using it on HVAC ducts. Didn't work worth a krap. Then I looked it up. Check this out:
Geezer, I did not know how important duct/duck tape is important to mankind. I know it had unlimited uses but a roll
even goes on space missions. The history of duct tape was interesting...

...I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg...
If the leg snaps into place as it should, and there is no difference in feel or fit between the two front legs, and you did not "move it sideways" into something, then I would suggest the unlikely possibility of a bird strike. You were not looking at it when it happened so did not see what caused the arm to move and I cannot think of any movement the Mavic can make on it's own to cause the arm to fold back since the props cause only upward thrust. Even extreme braking is an increased upward thrust, not backward. While hovering it could have been hit by a bird protecting it's nesting area.

Reactions: Concern
If the leg snaps into place as it should, and there is no difference in feel or fit between the two front legs, and you did not "move it sideways" into something, then I would suggest the unlikely possibility of a bird strike. You were not looking at it when it happened so did not see what caused the arm to move and I cannot think of any movement the Mavic can make on it's own to cause the arm to fold back since the props cause only upward thrust. Even extreme braking is an increased upward thrust, not backward. While hovering it could have been hit by a bird protecting it's nesting area.

That is a possibility, although not a very likely one since I didn’t see any birds before or after the incident.

That is a possibility, although not a very likely one since I didn’t see any birds before or after the incident.
I know it was a stretch, but if your M2P did not hit anything and the front arms were properly positioned, then something must have hit the arm to fold it back. I can't think of a force that would push the front arm back without obvious damage to the arm besides a bird.

Reactions: fr4nszzz
I found a method on YouTube on how to change the foot without desoldiering. It took me 45 minutes because I took my time. Keep in mind, the were no issues with the antenna or wire. Patience and a Exacto blade and steady hand was used to achieve it.
Can you provide me the link? Tia

I had the same thing happen on my Mavic Pro which I have had since Nov 2016 and have not had any other problems with. It hasn't affected the drone really.

Don't send for repair unless it is not functioning.

Buy a replacement leg it you really want to, but you should be fine as is.

Last night as I was flying my brand new Mavic 2 Pro for the second time, this thing happened. I extended the legs on the drone, set it down and made sure everything was alright. I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg. I quickly grabbed the drone and manage to shut it off after a couple of seconds. As you can see from the photos, it got slashed pretty deep. I let it cool down for about 15 minutes before I powered it on to see if there had been any damages to the hardware. My Smartcontroller is not giving me any warning or notifications about any errors. The crash detectors and everything seem fine.

I'm an experienced pilot, who has flown the Mavic 1 for about a year and a half. I recently upgraded to the Mavic 2. I would never have taken off if the legs were not fully extended. And as you can probably tell if you try to position the leg in a half-extended position, is that it will snap either forward or backwards, making it nearly impossible to have it half extended before take off. So the only reasonable explanation is that the leg was thrusted backwards by the drone's movement in air, which makes me wonder if I've received a unit with a weak hinge. Can anyone advice me on wether I should continue flying and whats inside the leg? Is there anything important inside the leg, or is it just a piece of plastic keeping the drone up? I'm currently on holiday and won't be able to return it for repairs for another week and a half.

View attachment 76594View attachment 76595
Last night as I was flying my brand new Mavic 2 Pro for the second time, this thing happened. I extended the legs on the drone, set it down and made sure everything was alright. I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg. I quickly grabbed the drone and manage to shut it off after a couple of seconds. As you can see from the photos, it got slashed pretty deep. I let it cool down for about 15 minutes before I powered it on to see if there had been any damages to the hardware. My Smartcontroller is not giving me any warning or notifications about any errors. The crash detectors and everything seem fine.

I'm an experienced pilot, who has flown the Mavic 1 for about a year and a half. I recently upgraded to the Mavic 2. I would never have taken off if the legs were not fully extended. And as you can probably tell if you try to position the leg in a half-extended position, is that it will snap either forward or backwards, making it nearly impossible to have it half extended before take off. So the only reasonable explanation is that the leg was thrusted backwards by the drone's movement in air, which makes me wonder if I've received a unit with a weak hinge. Can anyone advice me on wether I should continue flying and whats inside the leg? Is there anything important inside the leg, or is it just a piece of plastic keeping the drone up? I'm currently on holiday and won't be able to return it for repairs for another week and a half.

View attachment 76594View attachment 76595
Hi alibaba30, it might be nothing but your description is inconsistant.

You say
“I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg. I quickly grabbed the drone and manage to shut it off”
Okay fine, then you say....

“I let it cool down for about 15 minutes”

Cool down?
It has only flown for 10 seconds, why would it need to cool down?

If we are going to get to the bottom of problems accuracy is paramount.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15