DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frozen controller torture test

Former Member

Reactions
I was taking a break in between blabbing on the forum and doing some repairs and I thought I would do a Winter freezing controller torture test.

The temperatures here in North Georgia fell to around 24゚ and I thought this would be a perfect time to do a test. As per someone's thread last night, DJI recommends not using your controller in temperatures less than 32゚F.

So, I took one of my spare controllers, charged it up, turned it on, and put it outside in the 24゚ temperature. The weather was clear and dry. Every few minutes I had to go outside and move 1 of the sticks to stop it from beeping or shutting off. I was trying to see whether or not the LED display would freeze up, the controller would malfunction, or anything else out of the ordinary when the controller is exposed to extreme weather. I consider extreme weather anything beyond what the manufacturer recommends you use their equipment in.

After 2 hours out in the freezing cold, and me running out there every few minutes to move one of the sticks, I can report that they were absolutely no adverse effects to the controller. I recharged it to 100% and flew it for about 10 or 15 minutes and did not experience any types of failures.

I expected the battery life to drain more quickly than it would in warm weather but it was about the same.

Short version, I have tested the controller in sub freezing temperatures without any adverse affects. Do I recommend you try this? Absolutely not. I'm just saying that I tried it and my controller was not damaged by the weather. If you do decide to try it, be aware that your battery life might not be as good as in warm weather especially if your battery is more than 6 months old, the controller could freeze up, or something else bad could happen. Just because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean it wont happen to you.

20190121_103756.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to hear.

I am planning to fly in Svalbard next month, where it is currently -21c/-6F

It is obviously going to be a challenge, if I am able to do it at all, especially with the Ipad, which I use as a tablet...

Reactions: Former Member
Good to hear.

I am planning to fly in Svalbard next month, where it is currently -21c/-6F

It is obviously going to be a challenge, if I am able to do it at all, especially with the Ipad, which I use as a tablet...
If I can find the thread, someone had posted about a controller glove that might fit your device, hands and controller inside. That might keep the temperature above freezing for both your device and controller.

That would be great! I am rigging hand warmers with a cover for the Ipad, but didn’t think about the controller.

I have this for my DSLR, and perhaps could get another one to put the Ipad and controller in there... funny looking but who cares!

69609275ed4d4a3c4b0220664c2a2fd8.jpg

Reactions: Former Member
I was taking a break in between blabbing on the forum and doing some repairs and I thought I would do a Winter freezing controller torture test.

The temperatures here in North Georgia fell to around 24゚ and I thought this would be a perfect time to do a test. As per someone's thread last night, DJI recommends not using your controller in temperatures less than 32゚F.

So, I took one of my spare controllers, charged it up, turned it on, and put it outside in the 24゚ temperature. The weather was clear and dry. Every few minutes I had to go outside and move 1 of the sticks to stop it from beeping or shutting off. I was trying to see whether or not the LED display would freeze up, the controller would malfunction, or anything else out of the ordinary when the controller is exposed to extreme weather. I consider extreme weather anything beyond what the manufacturer recommends you use their equipment in.

After 2 hours out in the freezing cold, and me running out there every few minutes to move one of the sticks, I can report that they were absolutely no adverse effects to the controller. I recharged it to 100% and flew it for about 10 or 15 minutes and did not experience any types of failures.

I expected the battery life to drain more quickly than it would in warm weather but it was about the same.

Short version, I have tested the controller in sub freezing temperatures without any adverse affects. Do I recommend you try this? Absolutely not. I'm just saying that I tried it and my controller was not damaged by the weather. If you do decide to try it, be aware that your battery life might not be as good as in warm weather especially if your battery is more than 6 months old, the controller could freeze up, or something else bad could happen. Just because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean it wont happen to you.

View attachment 59994
I hate to think what would happen in our minus 30 Celsius winter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR