DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gaining altitude between waypoints that are set at the same altitude

WATERSHIPDOWN14

Reactions
I recently started playing with waypoints mode on the go4 app. I set up a new mission today and I have 4 waypoints in a straight line set about 200 ft apart. When the drone travels between the waypoints it will gain altitude to around 55 ft and descend back down to 30 ft by the time it reaches the next waypoint. There's no real slope between the waypoints, so I can't figure out why it does this. Watching the video is like being on rollercoaster for kids in slow motion. Lol. Any ideas why it would do this?

I recently started playing with waypoints mode on the go4 app. I set up a new mission today and I have 4 waypoints in a straight line set about 200 ft apart. When the drone travels between the waypoints it will gain altitude to around 55 ft and descend back down to 30 ft by the time it reaches the next waypoint. There's no real slope between the waypoints, so I can't figure out why it does this. Watching the video is like being on rollercoaster for kids in slow motion. Lol. Any ideas why it would do this?
........... ? aliens ?

Reactions: WATERSHIPDOWN14
Is there a default altitude set or something?

Try a completely new mission, at eg 50 meters altitude, 4+ waypoints
and see if flight elevation has an effect, in other words vary the flight program to see if it’s always the same or when it changes, let us know!

I did several videos a few months ago (posted here) practicing Waypoints 2 on my M2P. Because it was a practice run, I never changed the altitude, leaving it at 164 feet as I encircled an imaginary point of interest in the center. The drone never changed its height, as far as I am concerned. Here is an example of my practice run. (3:02 min).I selected an imaginary POI in the center of the lake for the first clip and centered on a POI on the church for the 2nd.

Update: Ran the same mission 3 times this morning and all 3 times the altitude only varied 2-3 ft between waypoints. I didn't change anything. Ran the mission as it was saved in task manager. Maybe there was some kind of interference yesterday? As Dave Maine said could of the barometric altimeter could have been it. Oh well, seems to be working now.

Update: Ran the same mission 3 times this morning and all 3 times the altitude only varied 2-3 ft between waypoints. I didn't change anything. Ran the mission as it was saved in task manager. Maybe there was some kind of interference yesterday? As Dave Maine said could of the barometric altimeter could have been it. Oh well, seems to be working now.
Nice to know and not unexpected. Glad it worked out for you. Helps us all to know.

The usual cause of unexpected increases in altitude are obstacle avoidance identifying the sun as an obstacle and climbing to avoid it.
It's quite unlikely that the air pressure/barometric sensor would vary enough in the short time between waypoints to make any difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada