DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geez this wind

Akademik

Reactions
Ive never noticed such high winds for so long until I started flying. What is the maximum wind gust you fly in?Screenshot_20200520-085800.jpgScreenshot_20200520-090150.jpg

Thank you for this thread, I'm wondering the same thing myself. I have a MM and been grounded for a week now (on vac big deal, lol) and ordered a MA2 yesterday so I'll also be watching this thread for answers.

If wind is 10mph or less I'll take off but be aware:
  • The higher you go the wind is usually stronger than at the ground.
  • If wind gusts are 50% or more, you are more likely to have trouble returning in a headwind.
  • Your remaining battery should be carefully monitored to ensure you have enough juice to return safely.

I fly a MM, and if UAV forecast shows wind gusts at less than 20mph at 150 feet, I go flying.

Note that OP's screenshot is wind conditions at 300ft. Lower altitudes may not be that bad.

When I fly in gusty winds, I test the waters, particularly with the MM. If I can fly 2m/h ground speed at 10% forward stick in head wind, I should be OK, despite wind warnings. I find those warnings over conservative, much like crying wolf. I wish it would give numbers.

Note that OP's screenshot is wind conditions at 300ft. Lower altitudes may not be that bad.

When I fly in gusty winds, I test the waters, particularly with the MM. If I can fly 2m/h ground speed at 10% forward stick in head wind, I should be OK, despite wind warnings. I find those warnings over conservative, much like crying wolf. I wish it would give numbers.
Screenshot_20200520-113000.jpg

I had my MA2 up in over 30mph gusts last week (kept it upwind and close by just in case) but it handled it surprisingly well. I only got 1 wind warning when the wind was coming in from the side. It might have been over 35 at the time. I reduced altitude a little and it was fine. For it's size, I think it handles the wind pretty good.

I was flying the Mavic Air 2 around yesterday in 16mph average winds, gusts up to 24mph and it handled beautifully. Didn't get any wind warnings, or notice any drift. I only really took note because flying back in a direct 20+mph headwind was a bit slower until I put it into sport mode.

Reactions: Rchawks
If wind is 10mph or less I'll take off but be aware:
  • The higher you go the wind is usually stronger than at the ground.
  • If wind gusts are 50% or more, you are more likely to have trouble returning in a headwind.
  • Your remaining battery should be carefully monitored to ensure you have enough juice to return safely.
10mph or less? I would be using it twice a year. I have MP2 and fly twice a week. Anything 25mph or less at 200' I take it up... Never had an issue. Just got the MA2 and that seems just as steady

Reactions: Rchawks

Mavic 2 Pro. If you are careful and aware, wind flying can be fun. Big difference here in wind velocity down low and at 300+ feet, but that was the point. This M2P was also modified to allow selecting ATTI Mode as a flight mode. I have also been flying UAV's for several years and am fairly comfortable with each system's limitations.

there are several considerations to think about in windy conditions ,and actually a steady wind is a lot less of a problem, than sudden unexpected gusts that can catch you unawares
also the terrain you are flying over can and does play a big part in wind strength and direction,it is very easy to go from the relative shelter of a line of tall trees or a large hillside and suddenly find yourself in trouble, the more you fly the easier it becomes to recognise these things, if you are ever doubtful about the weather conditions ,for whatever reasons stay on the ground and go and fly another day,your drone will last a lot longer that way

Mavic 2 Pro. If you are careful and aware, wind flying can be fun. Big difference here in wind velocity down low and at 300+ feet, but that was the point. This M2P was also modified to allow selecting ATTI Mode as a flight mode. I have also been flying UAV's for several years and am fairly comfortable with each system's limitations.

I have a MM and ordered a MA2 arrives next week, your video is an excellent example of what to look for (while safely on the ground) for high wind conditions on the screen. Myself I would be terrified of flying over the water in those conditions. I can see I have a long training period ahead.

I have a MM and ordered a MA2 arrives next week, your video is an excellent example of what to look for (while safely on the ground) for high wind conditions on the screen. Myself I would be terrified of flying over the water in those conditions. I can see I have a long training period ahead.
The more you fly a particular UAV, the more you become familiar with its capabilities, and the more comfortable you become pushing the limits a bit. In some ways, flying in high winds is safer over the water as long as the wind is blowing in from off the water, which it was that day. Wind, and especially high winds tend to become unpredictable over ground surfaces which can cause frictional rotor and greater gust factors. This was a gusty day, but because the wind was coming from off the sound, I was able to sit and study it for awhile prior to launch, and when I did launch, I knew what I was up against. Also, I launched from behind my car to avoid any takeoff issues as a result of the wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki