DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geo Fence Tragedy

Each time I get the warning and hit the DJI 'fence', I have an option pop up on screen to override it, with a tick box... it then processes a step where I get texted an unlock code... all seamlessly. I am recreational only. I only override it if I know for certain I am allowed to fly in that zone... and I do that by checking the official airmaps for our UK Aviation Authority... which are almost always very different to the DJI GeoFence zones.

I have never had it land automatically, I have an MP1. See link below for reason. This link might be useful, probably shared before: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

It says the DJI drone will only auto-land if it goes into a NFZ or restricted zone without a GPS signal at the time... If it has a GPS signal and enters into an NFZ it will hover. And if you are in an NFZ with GPS signal it won't take off (Until you unlock in all cases). That is my interpretation anyway

I have lost all patience with The DJI big brother stuff. I just received my Mavic replacement back, fortunately I had I had insurance on it and DJI replaced it quickly with a new one for almost no money. I leave in a location surrounded by water. I fired it up and brought it up around 30 feet before receiving a message about entering restricted air space , or something like that, and was told
'landing" and it did.. Just like a few weeks ago, you loose control, the software takes over and down it comes. I kept trying to manually keep it up a few feet so I could grab but no go!
I was fortunate it landed in the bushes, flipped over but no damage except to my nerves.
Where I live is around 50 miles from Palm Beach and yes there was VIP air restriction which for a 10-15 mile radius around Palm Beach. I just don't understand why such drastic action as forcing an automatic landing is called for. Since I am responsible, not DJI, why not a simple notification or alarm?
I have been flying DJI drones for years but this is getting ridiculous.
Fred
Lighthouse Point Florida
I agree that the pilot has to be PIC - pilot in command - of his or her aircraft. I got this warning on my controller and the aircraft would not even spin up it's propellers. I have written to DJI asking where I can over ride this to responsibly fly a hundred feet or two 7 miles from the airport, but they don't have the inclination to respond ... it's like no one there understands English, or worse, doesn't give a hoot. I am NOT a DJI fan.

Attachments

• P1010588.jpg
    P1010588.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 12
I agree that the pilot has to be PIC - pilot in command - of his or her aircraft. I got this warning on my controller and the aircraft would not even spin up it's propellers. I have written to DJI asking where I can over ride this to responsibly fly a hundred feet or two 7 miles from the airport, but they don't have the inclination to respond ... it's like no one there understands English, or worse, doesn't give a hoot. I am NOT a DJI fan.
could that warning occur if your RTH altitude is set too high?

First off WELCOME to the forum.

What airspace are your trying to fly in? Distance from the airport is no longer a determining factor and hasn't been for a couple of years now. You need to know what class airspace you're trying to operate in.

Here are some links to help you get started:
DJI Self Unlocking

DJI Custom Unlock

FAA DroneZone

LAANC

LAANC Facility Maps

B4UFLY

Kittyhawk UAS App (LAANC Authorization Requests here)

I'm important to know that ever Recreational Operators must know what AIRSPACE you are operating in and if it is indeed CONTROLLED airspace you must get FAA Approval before flying even 5' off the ground.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

What airspace are your trying to fly in? Distance from the airport is no longer a determining factor and hasn't been for a couple of years now. You need to know what class airspace you're trying to operate in.

Here are some links to help you get started:
DJI Self Unlocking

DJI Custom Unlock

FAA DroneZone

LAANC

LAANC Facility Maps

B4UFLY

Kittyhawk UAS App (LAANC Authorization Requests here)

I'm important to know that ever Recreational Operators must know what AIRSPACE you are operating in and if it is indeed CONTROLLED airspace you must get FAA Approval before flying even 5' off the ground.
Sad but true! Also, when you get a replacement from DJI, it will almost never have the same FW as the AC you are replacing. The replacement aircraft will have far more necessary permissions required than the original AC! This is especially true of earlier aircraft, when you were able to self authorize all Blue Authorization Zones, after GEO became mandatory. The FlySafe database will also be updated. The newest Authorization Zones now run right through my living room! I can fly from the deck, but no longer from the roof, without enabling the new required Unlock! :oops:

Reactions: BigAl07
I get that message occasionally after having unlocked a blue Authorization zone and I didn't think I had crossed a zone boundary. I didn't have any flight issues. The code that's looking for conditions that produces that warning may be ignoring that the zone is unlocked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa