DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geo fences

sportooth

Reactions
I've been flying Mavics for the past few years with little no problems. My friends and I are careful to get any clearances we need if we're near airports, etc. Yesterday we were flying, according to AirMaps, on a grid which allowed us to fly up to 200 feet, since we were about 5 miles from an airport. So, we got a message saying our altitude limit was 179 feet, which was OK and we got permission to take off. We few over the St Johns River, in the opposite direction from the airport. We had no problems flying at all. With 30% battery power, I hit the Go Home button and the drone approached us. When it got right above me, I got a message saying to manually land the drone, so I tried, but the Geo fencing would not allow me to land, so I watched my Mavic drop into the river, just out of my reach. I did manage to find it by running my tripod across the river bottom and the drone is drying out now. Now, my question is, if I was cleared to fly from our location, why couldn't I return to the same spot from which I took off. I had clearance to fly, My landing pad was in the same spot and did not move. All the grids along the river were NOT in NFZ's, however I was stuck and had nowhere to go, except further out in the river. Luckily I found the drone!.
Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm now leery about the accuracy of AirMaps!

Never have heard of this type of situation. Geo fencing can be tricky and cause some issues. You maybe should of tried flying it to a different spot to land. Don't know if you tried that or not.

I've flown from the same spot many times without incident. Puzzling! There is no other safe place to land, unfortunately. Just have to stop flying there.

This type of issue with Geo Fencing has happened several times. I would not be too quick to blame Airmap. I've checked multiple sources to confirm locations and have experienced issues like this before. Too many possible variables and above my pay grade to explain but I suspect that one issue could be GPS accuracy due to interference. Flight logs can help understand what happened.

Hack your mavic, remove the geofencing. Process is on this forum and it's free. Also allows you to: unlock Galileo satellites, boost wattage, remove nfz, and tweak lots of other goodies. Search for super patcher, easy process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka