DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geotag Mac app and Mavic 3 photos

marciano

Reactions
Geotag is a useful free app I use for years.
It gets and outputs geolocation data, date and map of photos.
It is possible to add coordinates when they are not saved from the camera.
I use it to check locations or add data of photos I've taken with SRL or mirrorless cameras and my Phantom 4 Pro.
Now, despite exitool metadata has a lot of GPS data Geotag app does not display it.

Gps Status : Invalid
Altitude Type : GpsFusionAlt
Gps Latitude : -34.903877519
Gps Longitude : -56.134247313
Absolute Altitude : +111.677
Relative Altitude : +119.200

GPS Altitude : 111.6 m Above Sea Level
GPS Latitude : 34 deg 54' 13.96" S
GPS Longitude : 56 deg 8' 3.29" W
GPS Position : 34 deg 54' 13.96" S, 56 deg 8' 3.29" W

I asked the author of the app some time ago but I didn't get an answer.
I have the latest version of the app installed.

Waiting for an update that may never come isn't worth it. I don't use that app, but I do use 3 other geotagging apps. I've got my method down now for geotagging using HoudahGeo now that I'm Mac-centric. Besides that, I can see all my Mavic 3 photo location metadata on Mac "Get Info" displays, but that's tedious. Each software does something that makes it worth having, and when I hit a problem, I'll just geotag or read metadata on another application that will give me what I need.

Hi,
Also doesn't worth for me spend $39 for HoudaGeo just time to time look at the precise point in the map where the photo was taken.
Below is the GPS part of photo taken with a Phantom 4 Pro that GeoTag reads and marks the point in its map.
It is strange that underlined data is in the same format as the Mavic 3 but Lat,Long isn't displayed.

GPS Version ID : 2.3.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref : South
GPS Longitude Ref : West
GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude : 80.8 m Above Sea Level
GPS Latitude : 32 deg 31' 14.34" S
GPS Longitude : 54 deg 31' 42.78" W
GPS Position : 32 deg 31' 14.34" S, 54 deg 31' 42.78" W

To paste coordinates into Google Maps you can create a simple script in Terminal (you have to download exiftool):
$ nano getCoords.sh
Then paste this

#!/bin/sh
FILE=$(printf '%s\n' "$1")
LAT="$(exiftool -XMP:GpsLatitude -s -s -s "$FILE")"
LONG="$(exiftool -XMP:GpsLongitude -s -s -s "$FILE")"
COORD="$LAT;$LONG"
echo $COORD

Save it with CONTROL-x (not CMD) Be careful that is not the same as "
Change permission to executable
$ chmod +x getCoords.sh
To get the coordinates of a photo Copy the file in Finder (it copies the full path of the file), go to Terminal and execute
$ sh getCoords.sh paste-filename
You'll get the coordinates to copy-paste in Google Maps

I agree, it's not worth paying for if you simply want to view file coordinates. All of my Mavic 3 photos display coordinates in Finder Gallery view, under Get Info, HoudahGeo, and Lightroom/Photoshop. I downloaded the GeoTag app for Mac, and I see the problem--no coordinates are displayed for DNG or JPEG files from the M3. Clearly an app issue, which is why I suggest in the short term using another app to get by.

I primarily geotag with a dedicated GPS unit, using a GPX track file. If I have a bad track or waypoint, I use HoudahGeo to obtain a coordinate from satellite imagery on Google Earth. Large batch file processing by time stamp and time zone is the primary reason I paid for HoudahGeo.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka