DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get heading angle from photos

mikegrad

Reactions
Hi all, i am trying to determine the heading or direction the camera was pointing when a photo was taken. I have imported my logs into Airdata, but it doesnt show this specific item. When i export the log i do see a column for isPhoto, but there are more rows than photos taken.

Can anyone recommend somewhere i might get a standard report or view that might show this? FYI this was with a Mavic 3 and RCPro

Thanks!

Hi all, i am trying to determine the heading or direction the camera was pointing when a photo was taken.

Can anyone recommend somewhere i might get a standard report or view that might show this?
Every image captured with the camera has metadata included in the file.
There's a lot of data in there and the information you are wanting is in the XMP section of the metadata.
The item labelled Gimbal Yaw Degree is the direction that the camera was pointing.
i-FjqSKjD-S.jpg

Thanks! I was looking at this info on windows and i didnt see this specific data. Is this data from a Mac?
Unless you are using a good metadata viewer, you only see a tiny bit of the full metadata that's part of every image file.
Google "metadata viewer" and you'll find something
Here's an example of how much data is in a typical image file:
i-PD3M7QF-L.jpg

Reactions: danwnz
got it. ive been using one of the online ones. Is it normal to have a negative value? im assuming that -90 actually means 270deg, West?

got it. ive been using one of the online ones. Is it normal to have a negative value? im assuming that -90 actually means 270deg, West?
That's right.
The angles are expressed as either side of north

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3