DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getterback vs Waterbuoy

Ping^Spike

Reactions
Hi there,

I've read with interest some posts on here from people with Getterback devices.

While reading up on them, I see a new version is due in Spring (but it's Summer now?) and is green in colour and offers a longer recovery line - I got all this from their main site. Anyone seen these green ones out in the wild?

I was also looking at Waterbuoy, a device which inflates a balloon and actually floats your drone back to the surface - Waterbuoy

However, I have a feeling they aren't trading anymore as I can't find one for sale anywhere!

Any other recommendations for water recovery devices?

The Getterback is now below £15 quid here in the UK so I might well buy one (or two?) for peace of mind!

I have the orange one's on all my Phantoms and the 100' is enough for where I fly and hadn't seen that but will look on my end here and if I find
one I will give you a link . They do work as have had them on highend rods that went over and they did deploy in my cases .
I have not put one on my mavic but as much as I stay over water I guess i need to .

Good to know they work! Saw a YouTube recovery vid on here too.

I've emailed the manufacturer to ask for some updates, will let you know if they reply back!

Reactions: dirkclod
Well, they never replied...

So I took a punt and ordered 2x Getterback 's from Amazon USA (low shipping cost to the UK thankfully).

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
Yah, I grabbed a Getterback also.

Read up on the Waterbouy which was a Dragons Den invention, but it seems the Dragons who backed it had the wool pulled over their eyes and were duped by physics in exactly how much weight it would bring to the surface

I have been keeping up to date with the Getterback product over the last few months since receiving my mavic. After doing some research and not getting anywhere, i emailed getterbacks inventor and owner and here was his response in February:

"Thankyou for your interest in our GetterBack product. I am in the process of redesigning the product and will have a new and improved version out this spring. I am looking at enhancing the visibility and other improvements that will make it more reliable and with a new color to distinguish it from the one that is currently being sold by a company I licensed it to which was not made to my specifications. That license has ended and I will again be the only supplier of the GetterBack product going forward"

And since this reply the getterback.com website has been providing updates. This is from the Home page:

"It's almost here and it will have a new bright green color! The new model will work much better than the yellow one being sold on the market now. Worth waiting for!"

and this from the news section:

"
The new and improved version of our GetterBack product is almost here! Sorry for the delay, but it will be worth waiting for. It will have a new color and improved function and made in America! The yellow colored product currently on the market is not manufactured by our company and we do not recommend buying it because the function cannot be guaranteed. These are made in China and not authorized by our company to be sold.

Thank you for your support during this process."

see for yourself at getterback.com.

I know ill be buying a couple when the go on sale :D

Yah, I grabbed a Getterback also.

Read up on the Waterbouy which was a Dragons Den invention, but it seems the Dragons who backed it had the wool pulled over their eyes and were duped by physics in exactly how much weight it would bring to the surface

Yes, to my understanding the product could lift 1kg at the surface but as the device descended into the water before activating after a few seconds the water pressure limited the lifting power of the balloon to the point that it became useless for floating most things. The demo on dragons den showed it working in a shallow fish tank.

I guess I don't see the advantage of the Waterbuoy. Once the Mavic is submerged, it's dead. The only reason to want it back is to return it to DJI under their Refresh/Care program. I bought the Getterback. It's only a few grams and, as long as you're not in more than 100 feet of water, it should be all you need to get the Mavic back. And, it's pretty cheap. Think I paid @$15 at Amazon.

I know ill be buying a couple when the go on sale

Yeah I would too, but he never replied to my emails and his web site hasn't been updated for ages, I can't wait another six months :(

But I shall watch with interest when he eventually launches the new drone version, I shall probably even buy one Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman