DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting GO4 Unlock to Fly

modbuilder

Reactions
I've been flying commercial drone jobs with Mavic Pro for several months and have not encountered NFZ's. But I have 3 jobs coming up this summer that require FAA air space authorization, and I've submitted authorization requests on the FAA DroneZone. I have two MP's, one that runs current FW, and one that's held back on older release that doesn't prevent flying in a NFZ.

My question has to do with getting DJI GEO release to fly with my current FW and GO4 once I have official FAA air space authorization. The DJI web site description of their paths for getting release to fly states: "The unlocking mechanism allows each user to make an appropriate individual operational decision independent of the guidance that is provided by DJI." That statement makes it sound like GO4 won't prevent me from flying, but I've experimented with it near the local airport, and it seems to be locked up pretty tight with no obvious path for me to express an "appropriate individual operational decision".

Would appreciate getting advise from anyone having experience with getting DJI release to fly in a NFZ.

Some types of restrictions it will let you unlock at the warning in the app. However I could not do it in the app until I used the fly safe web site to verify my account and unlock a zone through the website. That works fine for most things but some things it does not offer the option to unlock in the app. Such as an Air Force base (my brothers house is just on the edge of one). Not sure if after you get to a certain distance from an airport if it will not let you unlock in the app. I have seen what appears to be a way to input your official release in the app but I have never used that.

In addition to a normal Class C or D air space authorization for commercial operation described above, I've recently volunteered to provide aerial drone photo coverage for a local Class B&C airport (a class C reliever airport inside a class B airport airspace) open house in August. Since I'd be operating inside the flight pattern, I'm not even sure I'll get FAA authorization, but assuming I do, I'd be interested in hearing what to expect for getting DJI firmware release to operate, especially timing because I'm expecting any FAA approval to be a last minute decision. If I get that far, I'll probably have to use the MP with older firmware that doesn't interfere with flying. As long as I'm operating legally, I don't care what DJI thinks about it. But I'd really like to understand just how tough DJI will make it to fly with their current operating system. Especially appreciate input from those who've traveled a similar path . Thanks.............R

The Flysafe site with DJI has two unlock tabs at the top. One is for a single mission and one tab marked "custom" which will let you unlock a wide area for three months. Once you get the unlock code back and apply it to your bird, you can then go in an turn it on/off depending on where you are flying. You must have the latest software/firmware installed or it will not work. It defaults to I believe 30,000 feet radius, however, you can request more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo