DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Welcome to the forums. No, but it’s National Trust land and they have a blanket ban on TOAL.

Reactions: js47
There is a point here, you could TOAL outside their boundary and overfly the GC.
Additionally and you would need to check, but the land between the high tide and low tide 'marks', the tidal zone, maybe "Crown land" not NT. However flying from the tidal zone, especially on a busy day, could get a contentious and I would NOT recommend flying over crowds FULL STOP ...... even if it were legal.
In addition it would be risky, wet rocks maybe slippy and incoming wave heights can be significant i.e. you could get washed off the rocks.
Me, I'd wait until the tourists have left and the centre has closed. I've been there on a summer's evening and the place is deserted but at that time I only had a camera. I don't know what it would be like in autumn.
You could also launch from a boat off-shore but again don't overfly crowds.

However there are PLENTY of other places along the North and East coasts that offer fantastic scenery.
Places that come to mind, in no particular order.
Kinbane Head.
Around Dunluce castle but again the castle and its grounds are NT so you'd have to launch from outside their land. Magheracross Car Park (MCP) should be suitable providing the council hasn't introduced a drone ban. To the west of MCP there is a roofless cave (very near a good/bad bend in the road ) and, in the correct conditions, sea foam blows out the missing roof and across the road, a nearby waterfall is also blown up and over the road.
Where the road from Portrush to MCP runs past an abandoned quarry the road is actually carried on sea arches or maybe bridges.

Ballintoy when deserted.
Portaneevy Car Park east of Carrick-a-Rede which, via drone, gives access to Carrick-a-Rede but again evening time only when Carrick-a-rede is shut. Carrick-a-Rede is NT and its car parks maybe locked 'after hours'.

At one of the previous two car park, MCP & Portaneevy, there is a fantastic sea arch, if you have the bottle lol, I didn't. I recollect getting lower than -300ft at Portaneevy.

Port na Bradden but walk THROUGH the headland to the N west of the 'village' ( it's rough going so good shoes/boots and a walking staff would be an idea) before you launch otherwise the residents may get justifiably p*ed off. From memory I think there are GC like formations there but small.

Murlough Bay & Torr head, BE CAREFUL DRIVING those roads and go slow meeting a tractor and trailer after a blind summit/corner is not good for the seat upholstery. I LOVE the road from Torr Head to Cushendun but it's not suited to everyones' taste.

IN ALL CASES when flying watch out for gulls and, to some extent, buzzards. Dunluce might be home to an anti drone rook/crow colony.

Last edited:
Thanks
If you walk the Red Trail there is no sign or there is no indication. Also the app is not very clear at this point.
What can you do if a drone has crashed there?

Thanks
If you walk the Red Trail there is no sign or there is no indication. Also the app is not very clear at this point.
What can you do if a drone has crashed there?
If the drone crashes on NT land and are 'discovered you might be in for awkward conversations.

This guy
seems to shoot a lot of his footage around the North and East coast. I have recognised many places but unfortunately he does not seem to name places.

Last edited:
There is a point here, you could TOAL outside their boundary and overfly the GC.
Additionally and you would need to check, but the land between the high tide and low tide 'marks', the tidal zone, maybe "Crown land" not NT. However flying from the tidal zone, especially on a busy day, could get a contentious and I would NOT recommend flying over crowds FULL STOP ...... even if it were legal.
In addition it would be risky, wet rocks maybe slippy and incoming wave heights can be significant i.e. you could get washed off the rocks.
Me, I'd wait until the tourists have left and the centre has closed. I've been there on a summer's evening and the place is deserted but at that time I only had a camera. I don't know what it would be like in autumn.

However there are PLENTY of other places along the North and East coasts that offer fantastic scenery.
Kinbane Head.
Around Dunluce castle but again the castle and its grounds are NT so you'd have to launch from outside their land. Magheracross Car Park (MCP) should be suitable providing the council hasn't introduced a drone ban. To the west of MCP there is a roofless cave (very near a good/bad bend in the road ) and, in the correct conditions, sea foam blows out the missing roof and across the road, a nearby waterfall is also blown up and over the road.
Where the road from Portrush to MCP runs past an abandoned quarry the road is actually carried on sea arches or maybe bridges.

Ballintoy when deserted.
Portaneevy Car Park east of Carrick-a-Rede which, via drone, gives access to Carrick-a-Rede but again evening time only when Carrick-a-rede is shut. Carrick-a-Rede is NT and its car parks maybe locked 'after hours'.

At one of the previous two car park, MCP & Portaneevy, there is a fantastic sea arch, if you have the bottle lol, I didn't. I recollect getting lower than -300ft at Portaneevy.

Port na Bradden but walk THROUGH the headland to the N west of the 'village' ( it's rough going so good shoes/boots and a walking staff would be an idea) before you launch otherwise the residents may get justifiably p*ed off. From memory I think there are GC like formations there but small.

Murlough Bay & Torr head, BE CAREFUL DRIVING those roads and go slow. I LOVE the road from Torr Head to Cushendun but it's not suited to everyones' taste.

IN ALL CASES when flying watch out for gulls and, to some extent, buzzards. Dunluce might be home to an anti drone rook/crow colony.
That is so helpful. Not that I live there but the Intel is great.

Kinbane Head.

Ballintoy when deserted.

Murlough Bay & Torr head, BE CAREFUL DRIVING those roads and go slow. I LOVE the road from Torr Head to Cushendun but it's not suited to everyones' taste.

That is some post 👍👏

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Just went to your web site and really enjoyed your work! Love your compositions.

Dale
Miami

Thanks very much Dale, I appreciate that a lot!

I was admiring your Z8 thread a few days ago — I am considering changing to Nikon myself once the Z7III comes out.

This guy
seems to shoot a lot of his footage around the North and East coast. I have recognised many places but unfortunately he does not seem to name places.
Matthew is one of my favorite YouTube drone pilots, he breaks the techniques down in easy to understand and follow ways, and the shots are gorgeous. And yes, all Northern Ireland.

PS you can get some glorious sunsets from Maghercross Car Park and I think you can see the Donegal mountains.

PPS the "fantastic sea arch" is at Magheracross Car Park, it looks like they've added some viewpoints since I was last there

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones