DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Giant Crane hoisted onto Ship

Cool video! I agree with @MS Coast. That seems very top heavy, so I am also curios how they keep it upright without compromising the ship's stability. Any idea how far that's going?

Ireland biggest physical export makes its way on board the Jumbo Jubilee
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I was going to ask that too but the jib is a space frame so it might not actually be very heavy, that said it is quite high which will certainly lift the CoG.
A guess would be deep ( mean low and large total capacity ) ballast tanks, ship stability uses both the CoG and the centre of buoyancy to create righting moments when the ship rolls.
It might be interesting to see if they induce some test rolls whilst at the dock side just to check their calculations lol.
I wonder if the jib can be lowered once the crane is safely secured. Those cranes are generally wharf side container lifters that move along the wharf on tracks. Their a few youtubes of ships bumping them and bringing them down.
If I found the correct website those deck cranes are rated at 1500t each.

Last edited:
A guess would be deep ballast tanks, ship stability uses both the CoG and the centre of buoyancy to create righting moments when the ship rolls.
That's something I didn't think about, but makes a LOT of sense.

Awesome video. Very interesting and well done!

The Crane is on its way to Greenock Scotland . They are made in Killarney by Liebherr and assembled in Verolme Shipyard Cork for onwards transportation fully assembled.
Some interesting specs - the Ship to shore cranes weigh 935 tonnes ,1220 tonnes total weight when you account for the rigging jig. 72,5 meters high, 106,3 meters wide.
The stability is achieved by filling ballast tanks within the ship . The 2 yellow pontoons attached to the side of the ship are temporary ballast tanks used to help offset the weight of the cranes as they were lifted off the dock. They are stored in the large hold visible the rear of the vessel . It is departing tomorrow so should provide some interesting footage

Interesting that they are making container cranes in Europe.
Around the world, most are made in China.
The major supplier has a fleet of specially constructed vessels to transport them.
They are spectacular to see at sea.
Here are a couple making long distance deliveries.
DJI_0634C-X3.jpg

DJI_0584a-X3.jpg

In those photos the cranes that are "sitting down" are to be delivered to a port that's upstream of a bridge they wouldn't be able to pass under.
They lower the booms to pass under the bridge.

Loading any cargo ship requires a lot of attention to balance and load distribution.
The ships have a room full of computer equipment to monitor data from sensors all over the ship to ensure it is being loaded correctly.

Interesting that they are making container cranes in Europe.
Around the world, most are made in China.
The major supplier has a fleet of specially constructed vessels to transport them.
They are spectacular to see at sea.
Here are a couple making long distance deliveries.
DJI_0634C-X3.jpg

DJI_0584a-X3.jpg

In those photos the cranes that are "sitting down" are to be delivered to a port that's upstream of a bridge they wouldn't be able to pass under.
They lower the booms to pass under the bridge.

Loading any cargo ship requires a lot of attention to balance and load distribution.
The ships have a room full of computer equipment to monitor data from sensors all over the ship to ensure it is being loaded correctly.
We even sent some state side last year , 4 to Maher Terminals in New Jersey
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for sharing, awesome video!

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr