DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal arm repair

Djidilly

Reactions
Hello all, I had a little accident yesterday and now my gimbal arm is slightly off center and does not meet the chassis at a perpendicular intersection, I have calibrated the gimbal multiple times and it is still slightly off. I know its not terrible and the gimbal still functions properly but it's messing with my old. Is it possible to remove the arm and do something to recenter it? Or does it require replacement?
16254038129833357306991487280349.jpg

Try the software approach before going physical.

On Github there is software called 'DJI tools' which runs in Python.
I don't know if there is an update yet for the Mavic Air 2S but I know that several models use the same code..
The principal is that there are two commands.
JointCoarse and LinearHall
Crudely put, JointCourse moves the gimbal to its extremities the values of which are saved.
Then run LinearHall which centres the gimbal between the saved extremities.
Finally calibrate the gimbal in the app just to be sure.

You will need to run the two commands anyhow if you disassemble the gimbal.

Try the software approach before going physical.

On Github there is software called 'DJI tools' which runs in Python.
I don't know if there is an update yet for the Mavic Air 2S but I know that several models use the same code..
The principal is that there are two commands.
JointCoarse and LinearHall
Crudely put, JointCourse moves the gimbal to its extremities the values of which are saved.
Then run LinearHall which centres the gimbal between the saved extremities.
Finally calibrate the gimbal in the app just to be sure.

You will need to run the two commands anyhow if you disassemble the gimbal.
I wouldnt try this at all on a working pair of gimbal + aircraft.
The last time I tried this on my Mavic Air 2 with a faulty gimbal, it unpaired the gimbal and subsequently the drone did not recognize the gimbal and kept producing error on the Fly App (not to mention being unsuccessful in actually re-calibrating or doing anything).

Those firmware level calibrations have been known to work Mavic air 1, and Spark. If you do this for a Mavic Air 2 with a fresh unpaired gimbal from the factory it will work but continue to spit incompatible gimbal error permanently.

Reactions: Fizzbang
Hello all, I had a little accident yesterday and now my gimbal arm is slightly off center and does not meet the chassis at a perpendicular intersection, I have calibrated the gimbal multiple times and it is still slightly off. I know its not terrible and the gimbal still functions properly but it's messing with my old. Is it possible to remove the arm and do something to recenter it? Or does it require replacement?
View attachment 131554
I can't see the problem you are trying to describe from this picture. But any properly dislocated / bent / broken part in the Gimbal motor / arm system WILL result in error and malfunction. You just need to fly it long enough under stressful enough conditions for example in wind and OR at high speeds.
Another way to stress the gimbal arms and motors is to do a 360 panorama. It will exercise all axes.

If there is no problem from this, and the only problem is it appears to be tilted as in above picture then I will keep flying this. If the problem really occurs I suggest sending it for repair.

I have a Mavic Air 2, MP1, MA1 and I know how fragile those things are.

I concur with lee82gx if it ain't bust don't fix it. The Mavic Air 2S is probably too new for DJI tools as yet.
As for pairing issues perhaps I have just been lucky. Swapped three Mavic 2 pro/zoom boards and cameras and never had a pairing issue.

Yes I see it tilts down on the right side as long as it works fine I would not mess with it ! That's just my opinion

I concur with lee82gx if it ain't bust don't fix it. The Mavic Air 2S is probably too new for DJI tools as yet.
As for pairing issues perhaps I have just been lucky. Swapped three Mavic 2 pro/zoom boards and cameras and never had a pairing issue.
Oh yes, Mavic Pro 2 should be added to my list of able to be swapped and recalibrated. At least for this particular model - DJI explicitly stated that the gimbal+camera is designed for swapping.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest