DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal bubble tests; some observations

So I did a real world test today-

Had the Mavic at 80 degrees temp
Flew it outside in the 105 degree sun for 15 minutes hovering and flying a consistent path

Brought it back in, cooled it to 80 degrees again or room temp; put bubble on

I flew it again 15 minutes in the 105 degree heat, no change.

He is absolutely 100% correct. The bubble doesn't make it run hotter. It's 105 outside and the second test was with the bubble on, and I couldn't detect any difference.

fc80c9dc104794d00cae5631a4a22f35.jpg

0a92029280bc9770d7e7c7200d13d6cb.jpg

So I did a real world test today-

Had the Mavic at 80 degrees temp
Flew it outside in the 105 degree sun for 15 minutes hovering and flying a consistent path

Brought it back in, cooled it to 80 degrees again or room temp; put bubble on

I flew it again 15 minutes in the 105 degree heat, no change.

He is absolutely 100% correct. The bubble doesn't make it run hotter. It's 105 outside and the second test was with the bubble on, and I couldn't detect any difference.

fc80c9dc104794d00cae5631a4a22f35.jpg

0a92029280bc9770d7e7c7200d13d6cb.jpg
That is correct Sir. I tested it before a posted a couple of results and the gys from drone valley started attacking me and immediately he posted a video supposedly showing how the bubble on will cause increase in the internal heat and reduction of the air flow, which is complete nonsense. The fan can suck in the air within the bubble and the opening allows fresh air to come in.

Additionally the heat sink below is cooled down by flying it, the wind surrounds the craft and that cools it down like a radiator.

So yes, leaving up the bubble wont cause any additional hear, but the vid quality and some reflections can ruin your footage.

That is correct Sir. I tested it before a posted a couple of results and the gys from drone valley started attacking me and immediately he posted a video supposedly showing how the bubble on will cause increase in the internal heat and reduction of the air flow, which is complete nonsense. The fan can suck in the air within the bubble and the opening allows fresh air to come in.
I have been less than impressed with DV guy's test videos for a variety of issues. The bubble temperature test was so poorly implemented, sloppy, and inconsistent that his results are totally meaningless.

He does some good product reviews. He strays far outside his ken on some of the technical issues, however, and really needs to do some quick study on testing methodology, controlling for dependent variables, and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm not saying he set up a white coat laboratory or anything, just control for easy stuff like initial temperature -- i.e. same initial conditions -- something he totally blows in the bubble test, and easily explains the temp difference.

T
Here's what makes this interesting. Your results say there is no heat difference yet another guys testing shows an increase in temps when the bubble is on. I don't have a horse in the race either way but I think without further testing the jury may still be out on this one.

his testing is nonsense, he never put it back on the table and cool it off before testing it again. He picked up the heat from the previous run.
His testing methods didnt make sense at all.

Rob - Thank You for this post! This answers so many questions that I've had since getting my Mavic. I appreciate all the work you and RydFree did to come up with these conclusions.

Maybe the Mods can "sticky" this thread for any new members who have these questions.

ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Um, this is presumably why there is a thermostatically-controlled fan in the unit, which kicks in as things warm up. Thermal control can be rocket science (my old company had an ECO which required gluing a plastic flap inside the chassis to stir up the air turbulence because they had to keep the sound footprint under control) but a small computing unit, with a fan, with heat sinks (the entire bottom of the unit), and with air flowing past (even in hover) should not be a problem. Even if it settles at a temperature a few degrees warmer with than without, having thermal margins thin enough for that to make a difference would bring a ton of heat-related failures. Given that the unit isn't in a hot closet with no airflow, and nobody cares how loud the fan is (the props are plenty loud), it should be pretty easy. There's a reason it sounds like it could hover when that fan kicks on...

I like reading these post very interesting but with that being said heat on electronics is not ur friend... The cooler ü can keep ur electronics the more reliable and longer ur drone will last... THERMAL RUNAWAY is the cause of failure for electronics... Mÿ electronic designer çöwürkër that designs guidance systems for the military said ïf ü can keep the components cool it should last forever... Everytime ü heat components up ït starts degrading n eventually fails as ü exceed past its threshold... Some components can handle overvoltage but it gives off more heat in return so if u disspate the heat no problemø... Think about it why do computers have fans and heat sinks... Computers throttle down when overheating n come slower but for the Mavic it would fall out of the sky or bye bye... The components in the Mavic can handle heat but for how long n when is it gonna start thermal runaway... The fan in there is not running the whole time... Heat is not ur friend...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi