DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal cover for 5 minutes

No we haven't "all done it". Don't they have that BrainsRUs shop somewhere in San Diego?
No we haven't "all done it". Don't they have that BrainsRUs shop somewhere in San Diego?
Well that’s all this hobby needs is another angry troll. He doesn’t need a ribbon hanging off his drone. If that is a issue for your capabilities then please step aside.
your negative attitude creates doubt in pilots and is dangerous.
Please know your role.
It’s not instructing pilots.

Reactions: DJayI
You're not picking on the ribbon are you? It's well suited. I also use a checklist and it's pretty strict.

Gimbals on DJI aircraft are driven by stepper motors. Stepper motors by design have no mechanical hardware connection between the main mounting (in this case the gimbal) and the rotational section (camera housing). Everything is driven by a combination of permanent and electro magnets.

This is why your camera always does the little calibration dance when you power up the aircraft, because without a mechanical connection it has no idea what the orientation is and has to move the camera through it’s complete range of motion to determine where it is actually pointing.

What this also means is that the only way to actually damage the gimbal by leaving the cover on is if you were to draw enough current for long enough to overheat and then burn out the windings on the electro magnets. I’m not saying that is totally impossible but it’s highly unlikely to say the least.

Regards

Ari

Reactions: Zeprider
hi everyone, i forgot to take off the gimbal protection of my dji mini 2 and i flew for 5 minutes. I saw the video move a little. could it have broken? thank you all
I flew for about 10 minutes with it one once. Video sucked but everything was ok

The bigger message here is one that resonates within every pilot and a lot of forum members: the importance of a PRE-FLIGHT CHECKLIST (as hinted by @ehje and @Zeprider ) and routinely going through it BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT, and it should not her limited to props and gimbal covers but also airframe screws, compass heading, battery voltage etc.
Glad to know your gimbal is not damaged.

Reactions: Zeprider and DJayI
The bigger message here is one that resonates within every pilot and a lot of forum members: the importance of a PRE-FLIGHT CHECKLIST (as hinted by @ehje and @Zeprider ) and routinely going through it BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT, and it should not her limited to props and gimbal covers but also airframe screws, compass heading, battery voltage etc.
Glad to know your gimbal is not damaged.
I agree. And remove before flight ribbons(or other physical reminders) are part of the big boys preflight, so no shame in them at this scale.?

Why not just stick a piece of tape on the front of the cover inline with the camera. You will never take off with it on as you will see from the camera feed that it attached as you wont be able to see anything.

Wrap Grade wrap kits come with a sticker for the gimbal cover. But I am not usually looking at the screen at that instant, or the controller/screen are not even on. What I did works great for me and under all circumstances. But each has their own preference or something that works for them.
Using a preflight list isn't always effective because I often turn on the drone with no intention of flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN