DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Damping Board Mount Modification

MarkusAtHome

Reactions
After experiencing vibration issues in my video footage, I took a deep dive on the issue. It turned out to be a known problem and I found various solutions on the internet. However, none of the solutions could convince me.

As I was investigating the problem, I have noticed two things: The problem was more dominant in cold air but also with the original DJI 8331 low noise propellers.

Therefore, I had a closer look at the four gimbal damping elements. These seemed somewhat flimsy to me. I figured, that changing their damping characteristics could cure the problem. Under each damper I placed a small piece of soft foam material. After this simple modification, all image vibration problems disappeared and since then I have been flying many hours at temperatures between -5°C and 20°C.

It is possible to perform the modification without removing the gimbal mounting unit. A pair of cranked tweezers will work perfect.IMG_2504.JPG

Last edited:
After experiencing vibration issues in my video footage, I took a deep dive on the issue. It turned out to be a known problem and I found various solutions on the internet. However, none of the solutions could convince me.

As I was investigating the problem, I have noticed two things: The problem was more dominant in cold air but also with the original DJI 8331 low noise propellers.

Therefore, I had a closer look at the four gimbal damping elements. These seemed somewhat flimsy to me. I figured, that changing their damping characteristics could cure the problem. Under each damper I placed a small piece of foam material. After this simple modification, all image vibration problems disappeared and since then I have been flying many hours at temperatures between -5°C and 20°C.

It is possible to perform the modification without removing the gimbal mounting unit. A pair of cranked tweezers will work perfect.View attachment 127833
Brilliant!

Great idea!! I had a similar issue a few years back and ended up replacing the gimbal plate myself, which worked fine, but I've always been worried that the problem would develop again with use. This seems like a great, less-invasive solution! I'll have to keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing!

Rubber hardens with age but also with low temperatures. Replacing the board would, as you found, resolve the issue but placing soft foam under the dampeners looks like a way of extended their use.

I tried this foam strategy today. I had two foam densities to work with. One was some 1/4" round weather stripping. I felt like it was too stiff. I also had some very soft foam that a projector bulb was delivered in. I used that. My jello problem still exists. OP, can you take a shot at describing the density of the foam you used? Has anyone had success solving this with the replacement of the gimbal absorbtion plate?

It is not easy to describe a materials behavior. However, the material I used was from a bicycle handlebar and has the stiffness of a marshmallow. Foam made ear plugs would have been my backup source since the material is similar. A friend successfully applied the modification by using a sponge (yellow part) like the one below.Schwamm-201020479228.jpg

While I applaud the efforts of the OP to help people with jello in their video I’m wondering if there is something else going on. My drone is an original and over 4 years old and flys most weekends, but it hasn’t suffered the degradation to the rubber dampeners and jello that others have. I fly with DJI “low noise” or MAS propellers and adjust the gain to suit the propellers in use. If I don’t do that I have seen the camera bouncing when hovering.

Adjusting the gains to suit/match the propellers sounds interesting. Can you provide / suggest well working settings for the 8331 props? I do believe that a modification that reduces or eliminates vibrations is better than curing them with a “sponge” ?.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242