DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal hood

Artemis

Reactions
It looks like this company updated their hood for the 2S, a separate model supposedly because the FOV was partially blocked by the original in side shots, however i Don’t see reviews of the new model yet….I did see one testimonial though where someone shattered the protector, saving the gimbal, looks like it might protect on uneven landings also… thoughts? Amazon.com

...if you believe their 3rd pic down - you are their ideal customer ;)
No doubt it’s exaggerated , I’m mostly thinking of getting it for the limited gimbal protection…. I can see how it could prevent damage

Hmmm 🤔

For the frequency that a pilot crashes and breaks the gimbal vs. the constant blocked view (left and right) and nothing covering the lens while in the bag - it’s a pretty useless item I think.

If you learn to fly carefully and be present, and maybe have insurance (optional peace of mind) you don’t need a gimbal protector.

Been flying many years and many drones - never damaged a gimbal yet.

Oh… uneven landing?

It’s just 10 bucks, not bad for a little extra protection, planning on a uv filter too to help protect lens, not sure if they have an actual cap you can get. Anyway I know it’s not for everyone, I’ve seen it debated by some, as far as it being in the shot, unlikely with the new design and i could always pop it off if I wanted to do some of the automated shots that pan that far to the side. i Saw a demo where one benefit it helps the gimbal rotate freely if your starting up on uneven terrain … some guy was even using a landing pad and the grass was pushing up on it enough that he had to push it down during start up

Fair enough 👍🏻

It can’t help with uneven terrain though?

The covers’ feet aren’t higher than the feet it already has (or it wouldn’t sit flat on a flat surface) so the obstacle/grass if aligned with the gimbal - would still stop it from its startup procedure.

The UV lens is a good idea. Essential I’d say - others disagree.

Happy flying!

It looks like this company updated their hood for the 2S, a separate model supposedly because the FOV was partially blocked by the original in side shots, however i Don’t see reviews of the new model yet….I did see one testimonial though where someone shattered the protector, saving the gimbal, looks like it might protect on uneven landings also… thoughts? Amazon.com
I have one of these type hoods on my Mini 2 and it works great for over a year. I bought one for my new A2S and was SOOO disappointed that the gimbal randomly sticks while booting up inside the hood. It seems a bit too small inside, at least the one I got was. I returned it immediately. Hoping they work it out 'cos otherwise it is a good design. It might not have been this brand but it was identical form factor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer