DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Horizon tilt issue

Since they are still selling MP 1 I can't see them abandoning new owners this soon. I would expect few updates for another year or so at least. Would you not be pissed if you just bought one of these with no future support. There must be a law.
Especially since the jury is still out on the MP2. No shortage of unhappy MP2 owners.
Just wish they would address the horizon thing. DJI just tells me to recalibrate the IMU, the compass and the gimbal. Then they tell me to send it in for repair.

I've been seeing the same happening to my Mavic Pro horizon going wonky, it seems like it started happening after the recent firmware update. Has anyone found a fix for it yet because we shouldn't have to cut up crop our videos?

After any update firmware update or otherwise please do a imu calibration since this will fix drift while flying and camera horizon issues in most cases.

yes, you can level it out in the app, then you fly and make a turn and it all tilts all over again...

please note that as soon as you fly and make a turn, it tilts crazily again..
so you gonna adjust the tilt after each and every turn you fly?

I have a screen recording of mine doing this crazy horizon tilting it is really annoying even if you level in go4 settings once you start flying and yaw turn left or right the horizon goes massively wonky again like angling.
I have just factory reset in assistant and refreshed my latest firmware 500 I will test fly tomorrow and update my findings.
if that doesn't fix the next thing is to go down firmware.

I've been seeing the same happening to my Mavic Pro horizon going wonky, it seems like it started happening after the recent firmware update. Has anyone found a fix for it yet because we shouldn't have to cut up crop our videos?

Just come back and after doing the firmware refresh and calibration its still the same, so the next thing to try is going back a firmware version with the assistant. See if that fixes it.

I've had the same issue since an update around August. I also have a terrible yaw drift on the gimbal I can hover in front of myself and actually see the gimbal slowly drifting to the right. I have recalibrated everything, replaced gimbal cable and redone the firmware to no avail. Currently on latest firmware and I have to compensate with a slight touch of the rudder to hold the image steady.

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Noticed same thing on some video that I shot today, never seen it happen previously, the only things I can think of is that it was pretty windy and I was flying in Sport Mode.

I don't update the firmware. I never even use DJI Go

Weird I might try replacing the gimbal if it gets any more annoying. It's had a hard life tbh.

Have you done the reset camera, format SD card and re calibrate gimbal routine?

Yep calibrated gimbal, IMU, compass and the controller sticks factory reset the drone and latest firmware still the same. Recalibrated the IMU again too after the latest update as it was saying IMU error in the go app but not on the controller or the flashing light and it flew fine still. And formatting the sd card I usually do that in the mavic iteslf whenever I copy all the files off it so usually every few flights tbh and also use 2 different cards but I doubt the sd card would affect things like that.

I wondered after posting that how long it would be before someone said that about the SD card. :D I was skeptical too but I remembered finding similar advice for someone in a Facebook group:

format.JPG

Forget about the IMU, compass etc. This is the order to try with your Mavic Pro. It worked for me:

1) Reset Camera Settings
2) now Format the SD card
3) Calibrate the gimbal

Cycle the power.

Weird I might try replacing the gimbal if it gets any more annoying. It's had a hard life tbh.
I have done everything to try and fix this horizon tilting problem the next thing is going back firmware mine
started when I updated to the 500 firmware.
I have put a post on the DJI forum and DJI is monitoring my problem.
I'm just plugging Mavic in to downgrade now and will test tomorrow.

Yep calibrated gimbal, IMU, compass and the controller sticks factory reset the drone and latest firmware still the same. Recalibrated the IMU again too after the latest update as it was saying IMU error in the go app but not on the controller or the flashing light and it flew fine still. And formatting the sd card I usually do that in the mavic iteslf whenever I copy all the files off it so usually every few flights tbh and also use 2 different cards but I doubt the sd card would affect things like that.

Can I ask when you were calibrating your IMU when you closed the arms to start the calibration was you getting magnetic interference errors?
It took mine a few goes to get the calibration to start I had to open the arms a few times to get the mag interference to go away and to get the IMU calibration to start.

Here we are in late 2018 and it still happens with the latest updates. Tilting with yaw control, seems to be directly related to yaw speed and duration. More and faster you yaw the aircraft the more drastic the tilting and then slowly corrects itself. Did anyone get an explanation from DJI? Tired of cropping my video to make them work. 4k becomes 2.7k
Mine seems to have started after a crash but everything else checks out ok. Gimbal goes thru full calibration with no problems, have reloaded firmware, calibrated imu and compass and sensors. No luck.

Still Having this tilting issue on the latest 500 firmware it's really annoying, I've tried mostly everything the only thing i haven't is downgrading the firmware that is my next move and see if that fixes it....

Reactions: charliesRig
Well I recently upgraded from the Spark to a DJI Refurbed MP Alpine Combo and...sent it back today after getting annoyed at this tilting on each yaw movement with several seconds needed to adjust itself. A bit like a ship at sea !

Apparently DJI fixed this for the MA and the M2 so it has to be a hardware issue unfortunately.

Calibrate imu and then turn of then on and calibrate the gimbal, that should do it..

Yes I did that but it didn't help. It's not like the horizon is never level, it's just that it takes a while to straighten itself out after I yawed, even very gently. It seems all MP1s have that problem to some extent and people are more or less sensitive to it.

Reactions: Gazmg
Well I recently upgraded from the Spark to a DJI Refurbed MP Alpine Combo and...sent it back today after getting annoyed at this tilting on each yaw movement with several seconds needed to adjust itself. A bit like a ship at sea !

Apparently DJI fixed this for the MA and the M2 so it has to be a hardware issue unfortunately.

The Spark is a 2-axis gimbal vs. the Air and Mavic Pro/2 which all have a three axis gimbal. Apples and oranges.

Not really, what's at stake here is the end result, i.e. getting pics and videos without a tilting horizon when you yaw/turn.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929