DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Horizon Tilt on Brand New Mavic

I have noticed later firmwares have this issue. I have not run any firmwares past .0700 and I noticed .0700 had the tilt issue that I had to correct with a setting of 0.4.

Rolling back to .0400 firmware and the tilt problem is gone.

I should point out another annoying thing in that the tilt of 0.4 made portrait mode off, so you had to adjust it in flight if you wanted portrait mode to look proper.

I had performed the IMU calibration on a perfectly level table (I even used a bubble level). Like I mentioned earlier, I did the gimbal auto calibration with not avail. It is so strange that during the calibration the horizon level is PERFECT, then when it completes, it returns to the slightly slanted state. This is my second MP, the first had the same problem of a slanted horizon along with another issue in which I exchanged the unit. The replacement was manufactured the same time as the replacement. I can deal with just manually adjusting the gimbal roll if that is normal (despite what my OCD says, lol). I just wanted to see if the majority of users have this issue.

Mine does this too. I need a roll of 0.7 to get it level IF I CALIBRATE ON A LEVEL SURFACE. I found that if I jack up the left leg of the Mavic about 4-5 inches and then cal the gimbal, it calibrates level. Go figure. LOTS of people apparently have this problem - and the reps on the DJI forum said that roll adjustments of less than 10 - yeah...they said 10 - are normal.

One of the many reasons I hate the MP gimbal.
LP

Mine does this too. I need a roll of 0.7 to get it level IF I CALIBRATE ON A LEVEL SURFACE. I found that if I jack up the left leg of the Mavic about 4-5 inches and then cal the gimbal, it calibrates level. Go figure. LOTS of people apparently have this problem - and the reps on the DJI forum said that roll adjustments of less than 10 - yeah...they said 10 - are normal.

One of the many reasons I hate the MP gimbal.
LP
Adjustment of 10 or .10?

So just to clarify, for those who are reading this thread, does your gimbal calibrate perfectly to the horizon, or did you have to adjust the gimbal roll manually?

Brand new MP here too with latest updates. After my first flights had some time to dig into the settings. On my footage it was not clearly visible but in my room it was a bit slanted. Did gimbal calibration but it was consistent with the same results. I've ended up adding + .3 and it's perfect now. I don't see any changes it has remained fine after some flights.

I have a brand new Mavic Pro that has a gimbal horizon tilt. I have calibrated the IMU several times and also auto-calibrated the gimbal all on perfectly level surfaces. Despite my attempts to calibrate, it continuously has a small tilt. It can be fixed with manually adjusting the gimbal roll (takes .6 to level). This is my second Mavic as the last one had even more of a tilt. Is this normal for a new Mavic?

Also, during the auto calibrate gimbal process it looks like the horizon is perfectly level, but when it completes (100%) the gimbal goes back to the tilted state. This Youtube video (not mine) shows what I am talking about:

What is the purpose of the auto calibration??
Mine was exactly the same, auto calibrate and then fine tune, had to do it a few times now, I think going by these pages it is just one of those things that has to be done now and again. (wonder is the new Mavic two has a more robust and reliable gimbal). I tend to do it before any big trip with it just to make sure, I also calibrate the other sensors too because the amount of times that I turned up somewhere and it came up with warnings started to get tiresome.

Reactions: Szepy_lc8
Can anyone chime in to let me know if their Mavic came perfectly level? I don't know if I need to exchange it for another one?
yes mine did come perfectly level but I think it is just luck of the draw, no need to send it back.

I have now had my hands on 4 total MPs since I started. Two required manual gimbal roll adjustments (.7 for one, .3 for the other). The other two I have had required no adjustment. I found I could fix the need for a manual adjustment if I calibrated the gimbal while the Mavic was tilted to some degree in the opposite direction (like putting a box under one leg). Silly, but I ended up with a level horizon with no manual roll adjustment.

LP

Leafpepper:
If I got it right when you do a calibration this way (uneven surface elevated to the opposite direction) instead of placing it on flat surface the gimbal will be level on flat surface? I wonder how long but it's a nice trick anyway. :)

That is correct, holding the C2 down while using the right wheel, adjusts the horizon tilt. My brand new MP also has a slight tilt, resetting the gimbal doesn't fix it. But it's not annoying enough for me to send it back, I just hold C2, and give the right wheel one click to the right.
Didn't knew that. Very useful command!

Leafpepper:
If I got it right when you do a calibration this way (uneven surface elevated to the opposite direction) instead of placing it on flat surface the gimbal will be level on flat surface? I wonder how long but it's a nice trick anyway. :)

Not a trick...it worked exactly as you stated. It worked for me for several months until I crashed it into a tree and had to replace it.

LP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61