DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Motor Overload

Werner Nel

Reactions
Up until yesterday my Drone was working 100% I went on holiday today, started up to take scenic photos and videos and then I got the warning message that the Gimbal Motor is Overloaded. I've made sure that the clamp amd covers are off / removed from the Gimbal. Continue to get a message that the gimbal motor is Overloaded. I mow can't take ANY photos or videos of my holiday. Can ANYONE help me ASAP???

Search is a brilliant tool

Anyway typically its the ribbon cable has been damaged possibly in transit (mine broke being shipped back from dji after sending it for repair)

I had that issue recently when something -- I suspect a little bit of dirt - got lodged in the camera's rotation. I tried to recalibrate the gimbal, but it would fail at 31%.

With the power off, I gently rotated the camera and all the gimbal pivot points. I noticed a slight bit of resistance on one, and continued to rotate it gently back and forth until it was resistance-free. Then I powered up the drone again, went through camera calibration, and all was fine again.

I hope this helps. I was happy that it was solved so simply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
Does the gimbal move around during its worm up?
Can you control the gimbal at all with RC?
Do you see any tears in the flat black ribbon cable?

I am in the same situation as Werner.

I will follow pixl, s advise to see if am i so lucky.

I have the same problem.

Gimbal can turn and do its thing during warm up and then stops, like usual. Cable looks ok and the gimbal is correctly positioned (3 clamps). Never crashed nor did any hard landings. May move the gimbal with the RC. But the video feed is unusable because of constant gimbal shake and also sometimes the “gimbal motor overload” error.

I did gimbal calibration several times (it failed most of the times, but eventually it worked).
Also did calibration through Assistant. That went OK.
Then did test fly and at first everything looked fine, until I switched to sport mode and stressed the drone a bit (going fast forward and then reverse). The problem appeared again.

Last edited:
No luck. No auto-calibration, nothing. Now the gimbal is shacking like a motor. Unluckily I must send it for repair
The problemm is that I am from Cape Verde Islands, here are no DJI representant and I bought it in Amazon USA. It still under garantie

I have the same problem.

Gimbal can turn and do its thing during warm up and then stops, like usual. Cable looks ok and the gimbal is correctly positioned (3 clamps). Never crashed nor did any hard landings. May move the gimbal with the RC. But the video feed is unusable because of constant gimbal shake and also sometimes the “gimbal motor overload” error.

I did gimbal calibration several times (it failed most of the times, but eventually it worked).
Also did calibration through Assistant. That went OK.
Then did test fly and at first everything looked fine, until I switched to sport mode and stressed the drone a bit (going fast forward and then reverse). The problem appeared again.

Only a quick update on this issue, hopefully it may help someone.

I sent the drone for repair. It was a little dirt particle that prevented smooth gimbal movement! They removed it and everything is fine again.

Fly in clean airs!

Only a quick update on this issue, hopefully it may help someone.

I sent the drone for repair. It was a little dirt particle that prevented smooth gimbal movement! They removed it and everything is fine again.

Fly in clean airs!

Hi Superjam, I have exactly the same problem... If you could answer my few questions it'd really help me.

Can I ask you if you paid for shipping costs (both of them) ?
And did you pay also for them removing the dust ?
And how long did you wait to have your drone back ?

I saw that it can also be the cable because in this case I'll have to pay aha.

Thanks!

Hello
Hi Superjam, I have exactly the same problem... If you could answer my few questions it'd really help me.

Can I ask you if you paid for shipping costs (both of them) ?
And did you pay also for them removing the dust ?
And how long did you wait to have your drone back ?

I saw that it can also be the cable because in this case I'll have to pay aha.

Thanks!

Hello Charliea
I am in Chile. My drone was still with warranty and I brought it back to the seller. They sent it in to repair. I did not pay anything.
If you have nerves, I would recomend to try to gently move the camera and gimbal arround and try to extract the dirt yourself.

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman