DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overloaded - Losing strength in-flight

gfo315

Reactions
Hello my fellow Mavic pilots,

I was a frequent user at PhantomPilots a while ago, but became distant from the forum community when I bought my M2P, about a year ago.
Everything has been going fine, I love the drone and my clients always get surprised by its size (I'm yet to identify if this is a good or a bad thing lol)

About 3 months ago, the gimbal started presenting some issues in flight - more often than not. The raw axis suddenly 'unlocks', completely losing track of the horizon. It can be compared to the 'FPV Mode' available within the app, because it ends up following the drone's side movements, but still stabilising the other axis'.
Sometimes the app will notify the gimbal is overloaded, but not always.
In most severe cases, it seems to lose strength on the yaw axis as well.

- The issue happens until 0:16, when it 'clicks' back to normal;

- The issue happens on and off twice throughout the video, while doing the orbit.

It's almost always related to usage strength - wind, fast movements, etc.

I've navigated through a ton of articles and videos, but haven't found someone with a similar issue.
I know the fix shouldn't be something complex other than a ribbon cable or motor replacement, yet I don't know if I can repair it by myself, even though having some experience with Phantom and Mavic 1 troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions.

Hello my fellow Mavic pilots,

I was a frequent user at PhantomPilots a while ago, but became distant from the forum community when I bought my M2P, about a year ago.
Everything has been going fine, I love the drone and my clients always get surprised by its size (I'm yet to identify if this is a good or a bad thing lol)

About 3 months ago, the gimbal started presenting some issues in flight - more often than not. The raw axis suddenly 'unlocks', completely losing track of the horizon. It can be compared to the 'FPV Mode' available within the app, because it ends up following the drone's side movements, but still stabilising the other axis'.
Sometimes the app will notify the gimbal is overloaded, but not always.
In most severe cases, it seems to lose strength on the yaw axis as well.

It's almost always related to usage strength - wind, fast movements, etc.

I've navigated through a ton of articles and videos, but haven't found someone with a similar issue.
I know the fix shouldn't be something complex other than a ribbon cable or motor replacement, yet I don't know if I can repair it by myself, even though having some experience with Phantom and Mavic 1 troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions.

You say about a year ago, is that under or over? If under let DJI handle it. IF over there are some reports of this behavior, I believe DJI has addressed or will address with some firmware adjustments. But if indeed a hardware failure and out of Warranty then your on the right track with your repair options. ;) But as you said wind is generally the main culprit and being on the ground you can't see wind at altitude. But if it is doing as you say and becoming evident in most flights now, it does point to a failing component or connection.

Reactions: gfo315
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu