DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal overloaded - quick fix?

suzukijh

Reactions
Out of the blue my Mavic Pro started to give me a the “gimbal motor load too large. Please check if gimbal clamp has been removed” message on my RC. No recent crashes or anything. To be sure, the gimbal clamp is removed and not the issue.

My gimbal shakes violently at start up and then sets at an downward/outward angle. I am unable to pan up or down on the gimbal with the RC. I am also unable to calibrate the gimbal via the RC as the an error message appears saying it was unable to be completed. I have downgraded my AC and RC firmware with no luck, removed my usb card and have verified the AC works via WiFi.

The rest of the drone works rather normal. I can take off and land with no problem.

I have researched the issue a bit and have seen that replacing the gimbal ribbon is a long term solution, while tilting the AC to the right on its side upon start up is a potential short-term solution. However, when I tilt the AC to the right on its side I still receive the same issue.

I am in need of a short-term fix, as I am traveling for the next week and would love to use my drone while traveling. Does anyone have any other potential quick fixes for my problem with the gimbal overloading?

You can cut the flat black ribbon cable on the gimbal and that will cut power to your gimbal motors. Dont cut the silver stranded cable, thats your video feed.

If you decide to cut the black cable, you will need to fix the gimbal into one position with tape, gauze or other contraption.

You can cut the flat black ribbon cable on the gimbal and that will cut power to your gimbal motors. Dont cut the silver stranded cable, thats your video feed.

If you decide to cut the black cable, you will need to fix the gimbal into one position with tape, gauze or other contraption.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this the ribbon? Sounds like a last resort, as I’ll need to have the gimbal then physically repaired when I’m back. Any ideas on the cost of the repair?

Also, any idea why some Mavic owners are able to fix the problem by tilting their AC to the right on its side and then turn on the AC?

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Thanks for the suggestion. Is this the ribbon? Sounds like a last resort, as I’ll need to have the gimbal then physically repaired when I’m back. Any ideas on the cost of the repair?

Also, any idea why some Mavic owners are able to fix the problem by tilting their AC to the right on its side and then turn on the AC?

Well, a last resort would be to strap a gopro on and use that. You dont need to go that far because you can still use your gimbals video feed.

Yes you are going to have to have it repaired anyway. Some people can start it by tilting the drone, but thats a telltale sign that your ribbon cable is damaged.

Reactions: Filipok
Well, a last resort would be to strap a gopro on and use that. You dont need to go that far because you can still use your gimbals video feed.

Yes you are going to have to have it repaired anyway. Some people can start it by tilting the drone, but thats a telltale sign that your ribbon cable is damaged.

Point taken on the last Go Pro last resort!

I just watched a YouTube video where a Mavic owner placed a small 3x4mm sponge in the lower rear cradle of the gimbal retaining bracket at the back to compensate for stretched rubber vibration dampeners to solve for the gimbal motor over load issue. Is his issue a different issue?

I’m pretty close to cutting the black cord and trying to secure the gimbal like you originally suggested.

Hello,
Everything you've described is just what my mavic pro is doing.
Mine will calibrate if I hold it sideways while starting.
But it doesn't work properly during flight, and I can't control the up and down.
I was really hoping you could tell me how you found a solution.
None of the info I've gathered thus far has helped. And I don't want to replace
the cable if that's not the solution.
Please, "what's the answer"???

Out of the blue my Mavic Pro started to give me a the “gimbal motor load too large. Please check if gimbal clamp has been removed” message on my RC. No recent crashes or anything. To be sure, the gimbal clamp is removed and not the issue.

My gimbal shakes violently at start up and then sets at an downward/outward angle. I am unable to pan up or down on the gimbal with the RC. I am also unable to calibrate the gimbal via the RC as the an error message appears saying it was unable to be completed. I have downgraded my AC and RC firmware with no luck, removed my usb card and have verified the AC works via WiFi.

The rest of the drone works rather normal. I can take off and land with no problem.

I have researched the issue a bit and have seen that replacing the gimbal ribbon is a long term solution, while tilting the AC to the right on its side upon start up is a potential short-term solution. However, when I tilt the AC to the right on its side I still receive the same issue.

I am in need of a short-term fix, as I am traveling for the next week and would love to use my drone while traveling. Does anyone have any other potential quick fixes for my problem with the gimbal overloading?
Do you have an ND filter attached which may be restricting the clearance between the gimbal arm and camera lens? I had that problem with an el cheapo filter set. Just stating an obvious possibility, no offense meant.

Hello,
Everything you've described is just what my mavic pro is doing.
Mine will calibrate if I hold it sideways while starting.
But it doesn't work properly during flight, and I can't control the up and down.
I was really hoping you could tell me how you found a solution.
None of the info I've gathered thus far has helped. And I don't want to replace
the cable if that's not the solution.
Please, "what's the answer"???

Unfortunately, I had to eventually replace the gimbal ribbon. The repair was around $150.

However, when I was on my trip I did cut the gimbal
ribbon and manually stabilized the gimbal with tape to get some photos. Not the most elegant solution but it allowed me to capture some photos while I was on my trip. Best of luck!

Unfortunately, I had to eventually replace the gimbal ribbon. The repair was around $150.

However, when I was on my trip I did cut the gimbal
ribbon and manually stabilized the gimbal with tape to get some photos. Not the most elegant solution but it allowed me to capture some photos while I was on my trip. Best of luck!

This just happened to me today as well.... Mavic Pro has been serving me well for 2 years... I've always been very careful with the protecting the gimbal. On a very calm and sedate flight, just getting a couple of photos... all of a sudden the gimbal started shaking... I brought it back to land promptly and powered it down. Then when restarting it to see whats going on... its says gimbal motor load too large. Please check if gimbal clamp has been removed....and the gimbal goes limp.

Of course tomorrow I'm about to visit an amazing location that I've flown across the world to visit.... sucks....

Whats the youtube link you mentioned above?

I guess I can just fix the gimbal clamp in place?... but without the gimbal there will be no stablisation. Why would you cut the flex ribbon.. whats the problem that solves?

I don’t remember the exact YouTube link but I searched for gimbal motor load too large quick fix or fix. However, the solution with the sponge did not work because the gimbal ribbon had been completely fried. Your issue may be different so would encourage you to keep trying different fixes before cutting the gimbal ribbon.

Cutting the flat black ribbon cable on the gimbal will cut power to your gimbal motors and stops the gimbal from shaking violently. Dont cut the silver stranded cable, thats your video feed.

If you decide to cut the black cable, you will need to fix the gimbal into one position with tape, gauze or other contraption to stabilize the camera. I was only able to take still photos because the gimbal still shakes while flying but I was still able to get some photos that made it worth the effort. Once I returned back home I had the gimbal ribbon replaced.

I don’t remember the exact YouTube link but I searched for gimbal motor load too large quick fix or fix. However, the solution with the sponge did not work because the gimbal ribbon had been completely fried. Your issue may be different so would encourage you to keep trying different fixes before cutting the gimbal ribbon.

Cutting the flat black ribbon cable on the gimbal will cut power to your gimbal motors and stops the gimbal from shaking violently. Dont cut the silver stranded cable, thats your video feed.

If you decide to cut the black cable, you will need to fix the gimbal into one position with tape, gauze or other contraption to stabilize the camera. I was only able to take still photos because the gimbal still shakes while flying but I was still able to get some photos that made it worth the effort. Once I returned back home I had the gimbal ribbon replaced.

Thanks for the quick reply... I think I found that video...

But it doesn't help with my gimbal.... I don't think my gimbal was actually being obstructed/overloaded in any way...

Did you get DJI to repair your gimbal for $150? Is it all as good as new again now?

Reactions: Filipok
Thanks for the quick reply... I think I found that video...

But it doesn't help with my gimbal.... I don't think my gimbal was actually being obstructed/overloaded in any way...

Did you get DJI to repair your gimbal for $150? Is it all as good as new again now?

I took my drone in to a third party repair shop and they were able to fix it within a day. No problems since I took it in for repairs [emoji1303]

This looks like a fix for mine as well, will let you know shortly.
Mine was never even close to a crash or mis-handled@#^%^&*^%$#

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803