DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gimbal problem after crash and trying to fix

LukyLuke

Reactions
Problem
After a crash i had to change both cables, gimbal and camera and also the gimbal plate. The camera cable is from a used mavic and the flex i got from amazon as replacemant. Now i am not able to calibrate gimbal. it stuck at 5%. The picture is worse. I can see pixel, sometimes the picture seems to be ok, but it is not smooth as usual. Please have a look at my little youtube video.
I think the gimbal camera is getting to hot. But i dont know how hot it will bee under normal circumstances.

Was unit in a crash
Yes. I ran backwards into some trees in sport mode. It fell down about 7 to 8 meters to the soft ground. Only the gimbal plate was broken. The flex cable has been cutted into 3 peaces. One of the silver cable lines was also cutted.

What have you tried so far?:
I tried to refix the cableconnectors several times. Second i tried to find a possible error on the electronic gimbal board, but with no success.

What device are you using
normaly ipad mini 4 cellular and Samsung Galaxy S7

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)
.700 ....... had no problem till now

What Go app version are you using

Any modification?
force FCC on Ipad

Did you change anything or install any apps?
no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem?
Yes, see attached.

Notes and observations:
I think the gimbal camera is getting to hot. But i dont know how hot it will bee under normal circumstances.

Next step I will change the flex with another one. I also ordered a new gimbal with cam, but without the board. It will take some time to get these things. I am very sad at the moment becouse of my fault. The mavic was flying very good till my stupid accident.

Anyone knows what the problem could be and how to fix it?

It was the fastest way to get the camera cable. It looks good. Would the gimbal work without the camera connected?

Ok, i will try it as soon as my new cables are here. Hope that will work for me.
The lag in the vidoe transmission an the bad video picture has to do with the bad ribbon cable?

Hi folks, some news .... today i gave it another try by using first checking all ribbon cable connections and then using my tabs s2 instead of ipad mini 4. So, now i get a perfect picture from cam, but the gimbal still not work. In DJI go i get "gimbal motor overload" now.

Now i installed my second ribbon cable, which i got today .... still the same. One time i got it to work again. Gimbal was working quite ok except the roll. Tilt an Pan were just fine. Does this mean i have possibly a defect roll motor? What should i check next?

@Thunderdrones Thanks for your note to check the connections of LVDS cable again. I think that was the problem with the silver cable. Now the picture is ok.

Gimbal calibration is now ending with 51% and error.

When mine crashed it pretty much did the same thing. I had to get a new gimbal. When I turn the old one by hand I can feel a snag that binds it up. Try doing that, I’ve heard that sometimes rotating it by hand (with power off) can clear out the snag. Didn’t work for me though.

Some good news from me. Last weekend i got a "new" gimbal with cam already installed as replacement from ebay. I think it is not realy a new one, but the black fixed cable connectors were all ok. First try i got a short message "gimbal overload", but gimbal was working good. So i decided to change the ribbon cable on the "new" gimbal. After calibration of gimbal the "gimbal overload" has gone.
It works good so far. I guess one of my old gimbal motors is bad.

When i start the mavic it initialize the gimbal with some "klack, klack" sounds .... i think my old gimbal was quiter. Second strange thing is that after initialization process the horizontal tilt moves slowly out of horizontal orientation for some seconds an than it comes back to horizontal. I did no testflight due to bad weather conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR