DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal protection cover

Captain Lou

CRAZ-E-LOU
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was wondering how bad it is for the gimbal if I forget to remove the protection cover ?
I didn’t realize it while I was setting up my goggles getting them ready to do some gimbal head tracking I noticed that the gimbal wasn’t moving ... I thought I did something wrong than I noticed that the gimbal cover was still on? ... everything seems ok but I was wondering?

I was wondering how bad it is for the gimbal if I forget to remove the protection cover ?
I didn’t realize it while I was setting up my goggles getting them ready to do some gimbal head tracking I noticed that the gimbal wasn’t moving ... I thought I did something wrong than I noticed that the gimbal cover was still on? ... everything seems ok but I was wondering?
Don't know but I've done it a few times and the gimbal has survived. Obviously I try not to do that. It can't be good for the gimbal.

You can add me to the list. Done it a couple of times with no adverse effects. There is an overload protection for the gimball at least on the zoom. Best not to rely on it. Havent done it in a while. Some people put a piece of tape on to remind them to remove it.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I think most have done it and in 6 years I’ve been in these forums
i can’t say I’ve seen any threads where it has caused damage.
Now I could see where something might overheat if it was left on
but this is something you notice right off and shutdown then remove.

I haven't forgotten to remove it for a flight yet. But yesterday I put it on my MA2 with the gimbal off centre and sort of jammed stuck by the cover. When I switched it on to transfer files on DJI Fly, it said something like "gimbal motors overloaded". It was quite horrifying to discover my mistake... but it seems no damage was done. Sometimes I worry the cover does more harm than good if I don't put it on properly.

I've done it many times both on my Mini and on my M2Z. So far no problems. I now have red velcro tape wrapped around each gimbal to remind me. This works for me.

I prefer the hood on my M2Z and Mini.
They give good protection,shades unwanted bright sun...only time I take it of M2Z is when flying with goggles.
Do they keep the gimbal from moving around when your M2Z is in a case?

Do they keep the gimbal from moving around when your M2Z is in a case?
No harm in gimbal moving,shouldn’t move much anyway...unless you go jogging carrying it in a case ?.
Not sure about that polar thingy below..the hood protects the gimbal (not 100%) both on the ground and in the air, with no worries if it’s left on deliberately ,or not.
I was forever forgetting to take the bubble cover off,when I first got my drone,and it always felt fiddly to clip on around a delicate gimbal.

No harm in gimbal moving,shouldn’t move much anyway...unless you go jogging carrying it in a case ?.
Not sure about that polar thingy below..the hood protects the gimbal (not 100%) both on the ground and in the air, with no worries if it’s left on deliberately ,or not.
I was forever forgetting to take the bubble cover off,when I first got my drone,and it always felt fiddly to clip on around a delicate gimbal.
Another reason I like the PolarPro... it’s opaque black... you know immediately if you left it on.

Yep - been there and done that too! Doesn't seem to be any harm done. I guess that's what pre flight checks are for.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69