DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal question

walke121

Reactions
First off I’ve only had my MA2 for a day and only flew one battery today because it was very windy and cold and I was going to wait for conditions to improve and got busy and it was dark before I could fly again. I’ll definitely be flying tomorrow as I loved every second of the 20-25 minutes I got to fly it so far.

My question is related to gimbal alignment and calibration. I have calibrated the gimbal 2x and when I center it the vertical alignment goes from 0-90 degrees but my yaw alignment is -1 degree left. Has anyone else had this issue? I mean at only 1 degree it’s completely unnoticeable to me in the videos and I could adjust it manually but it looks straight to me. I’m not someone that lets every little thing bother me and I the functionality is 100% and I can’t tell at all it’s not exactly zero degrees centered. I only wanted to know if others have had this issue and if so has anyone fixed it. I adjusted it manually but it still continues to say -1 degree left. If anyone knows a fix I’ll give it a shot but if not the fact it’s a single degree off center is a complete non issue for me. Thanks for the help and I love the forum.

The best thing to do is contact DJI support. You can usually call them and get through fairly quickly. It is not unheard of to get a drone with a minor defect. My first Mini 2 would not update firmware and after going over it with DJI support with their phone support they told me I should send it back for a replacement. Hopefully they can walk you through to a solution to your problem.

Good luck.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
It's not uncommon for horizon to be slightly tilted. It probably will vary when you yaw.

IMU calibration might improve it.

Or are you saying gimbal is yawed rather than rolled 1 degree left?

Not sure about the FLY APP but the GO APP allows the bank angle and yaw angle of the gimbal when it is at neutral position to be adjusted. But even so, the yaw angle of the gimbal my M2P still drifts a bit randomly during the flight and I have to re-center it by tilting the camera downward and then forward if I want the make sure that the camera is pointing straight forward.

Whether one degree of yaw offset is significant or not depends on your application. If you shoot video and want the subject to stay at the center of the frame as the drone approaches it, then that will be a problem.

I don't know about the MA2 but in the DJIGo4App for the M2P and zoom you can adjust the gimbal.
Click the controller icon top right
Takes you to Remote controller settings.
Click on the camera icon with the line above it.
Takes you to Gimbal settings.
Auto calibrate or Adjust the gimbal Roll and/or Yaw.

It's not uncommon for horizon to be slightly tilted. It probably will vary when you yaw.

IMU calibration might improve it.

Or are you saying gimbal is yawed rather than rolled 1 degree left?

Sorry. Maybe my explanation wasn’t very clear. I have the FN button set to center gimbal and when I center it the vertical axis zeros to 0 degrees while my yaw is saying -1 degree (1 degree to the left). I can move the gimbal on the yaw axis and when I center it it always goes back to -1 degree. I attached a photo.
34bcc109a0226f996048f9f1bbed387c.jpg

Sorry. Maybe my explanation wasn’t very clear. I have the FN button set to center gimbal and when I center it the vertical axis zeros to 0 degrees while my yaw is saying -1 degree (1 degree to the left). I can move the gimbal on the yaw axis and when I center it it always goes back to -1 degree. I attached a photo.
I see.....
It seems that -1 degree is an adjustment setting. May be it can be changed in the FLY APP ? On my M2P I need to put in a yaw adjustment of 1.1 degree in order to make the camera point straight forward. This is verified by flying the drone towards an object aligned with the cross hair and checking if the cross hair will stay on it as the drone flies.

1611024461690.png

Last edited:
Mine always shows the same thing as yours. I've had the MA2 since it first was released.

Mine always shows the same thing as yours. I've had the MA2 since it first was released.

After some research I’ve come across many accounts of others having the same thing happening. Lots of people seem to have the “issue” (I don’t think it’s really a big deal but one user threw a fit about it and said he returned the drone because of it.) I flew this am and it flew right to the crosshairs so I don’t think the gimbal is off center much if any at all. Either 1 degree doesn’t really matter or it’s centered and it’s just the software that’s off or something similar. Either way it flys perfect so I’m not really worrying about it this as it’s a non issue. However I did just inquire with DJI support about it and will let everyone know what they say. I hope I have made sense in this video and wasn’t confusing. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: dawgpilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31