DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal restart while flying?

KiterTodd

Reactions
Recently (2 firmware updates ago) my gimbal starting doing what looks like a restart mid-flight. This usually happens when I'm getting wind warnings. Not real high wind. The Mavic has no problems holding station, but the occasional gust will make a warning pop up.

The camera view will completely spaz out for a couple seconds, and then when he regains stability the horizon will be off significantly (30 degrees). After a 30-60 seconds the horizon will adjust. Sometimes when it does this I have noticed my white balance will also be changed (when it comes back to life it'll be set on Sunny when I'd had it on Cloudy).

Is this a firmware or hardware bug? I recall watching one guy review the Mavic on a vlog stating that his camera did this and he had to send it back to DJI. However, this is a relatively new thing for me and the drone has never been crashed or knocked around much, so it seems like more of a firmware confusion.

In any case, be curious if anyone else sees this. Thanks!

Recently (2 firmware updates ago) my gimbal starting doing what looks like a restart mid-flight. This usually happens when I'm getting wind warnings. Not real high wind. The Mavic has no problems holding station, but the occasional gust will make a warning pop up.

The camera view will completely spaz out for a couple seconds, and then when he regains stability the horizon will be off significantly (30 degrees). After a 30-60 seconds the horizon will adjust. Sometimes when it does this I have noticed my white balance will also be changed (when it comes back to life it'll be set on Sunny when I'd had it on Cloudy).

Is this a firmware or hardware bug? I recall watching one guy review the Mavic on a vlog stating that his camera did this and he had to send it back to DJI. However, this is a relatively new thing for me and the drone has never been crashed or knocked around much, so it seems like more of a firmware confusion.

In any case, be curious if anyone else sees this. Thanks!

Yep - did it look like this?

Okay, I was just about to sign up to ask about this issue - I get the exact same thing...

Happens at least once on most flights. The camera will suddenly reset - Recording stops, the gimbal moves, horizon all over the place, and exposure/focus are off. It settles back after a few seconds (first few times it happened I thought the drone was tumbling out of the sky).

Another thing I noticed, some of the camera settings get reset.

I have not yet tried or seen this happening while not filming. It seems to happen quicker when filming on 4K - I'm wondering if it's a processing problem.

I really hope this can be solved via firmware, otherwise I'm seriously taking this thing back to the store (I've had it abut 2 weeks).

Some more data, but not hope, to add. I downgraded to .400 (which I had never flown with since it upgraded when I unboxed basically) and the gimbal restart still happens. Going back to .600 now.

Yes. Thanks for saving me the trouble of uploading the same.
It does exactly that.

Any reports on what it is? Is it on all Mavics?

I haven't had that happen at all since that event (2017-02-27). All my f/w and s/w have been kept up to date.

Some people believe it's correlated to high winds and/or turbulence - which may be true.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Unfortunately not my experience. Today is windless and warm. It even happened while I was parked after landing. Happens on every flight. Multiple times. But it does have to be recording.

Yes, conditions have been fine when it happens to me. Of course, I can't say for sure what's going on up there (small gusts etc).

Such a shame, the thing flies great otherwise.

****, I have a plan to shoot surfers this Sunday, and this issue worries me.
When this issue happened, it showed -8ft altitude... I cant fly my drone with wrong information...

Reactions: KiterTodd
Sketches me out. Has happened over water a few times (100' up) and I don't want to be over water when it's unpredictable. I usually bring it back to land and if it corrects before I land I keep flying. But, it totally screws up the flow of whatever I'm shooting. It's quite an awful bug.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929